My first brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtie

Reaction score
I finished my first brew last night. It's a Bavarian hefeweizen. It's an extract kit with Wyeast liquid. The OG was spot on what it should be at 1.049 and 12 hours later its starting to foam up in the primary. It smelled really good during the boil so I believe it will be a nice brew. Here's a pic i just took of it taking off. It's staying pretty constant around 64-66f do you think that is a good fermenting temp for a hefe?

image-3722857058.jpg

Depending on if you want there to be the fruity esters or not. Warmer fermentation temp will add to the bananna flavor, cooler like you have it will add the the clove note.

I got you. I really don't know what I would like better to be honest. I just don't want to kill the yeast.

Nice job! Congrats! It's a pretty safe bet to ferment around the middle of the yeast's recommended temp. Wyeast's site has a ton of useful info on their yeast strains, including temp guidelines.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Nice job! Congrats! It's a pretty safe bet to ferment around the middle of the yeast's recommended temp. Wyeast's site has a ton of useful info on their yeast strains, including temp guidelines.

Good deal. I didn't think I had it too low but what do I know. I'll have to give that a look over for future reference. Thanks for the info.

Well, depending on your yeast variety you may be on the low end of the scale!

Wyeast Bavarian Wheat's range is 64°-75°F. Generally on the higher end you will get more esters like banana.

I would recommend bringing the temp up to the low 70's, but that is just my suggestion!

Good luck!

KevinW said:
Well, depending on your yeast variety you may be on the low end of the scale!

Wyeast Bavarian Wheat's range is 64°-75°F. Generally on the higher end you will get more esters like banana.

I would recommend bringing the temp up to the low 70's, but that is just my suggestion!

Good luck!

Thanks for that tid bit. I will probably take that advice. Ill more than likely move it inside. I have a room outside that's pretty well insulated but it don't hear other than my water heater and it stays around 65ish. But I get what you are saying. Thanks for that.

wedge421 said:
Congrats man! For my heffe's I usually ferment around 71F to bring out the bananna

I'm gonna bring it up tonight an see how that goes. I would probably like the banana better anyways.

helibrewer said:
Congrats, see, that wasn't so hard :)

Not at all man. While I was doin it I was constantly thinking I was doing something wrong. I guess I was being to cautious. I'm ready to do another batch.

Well it has been 13 days since brew day and I took my first gravity reading since them. OG was right at 1049.0. Now it is 1012.0. I tried a small sample and lemme tell you I was impressed! Had very distinguishable banana notes but not overpowering. I think it's gonna nice. Can't wait to bottle. I'm already wanting to start another. Oh and sorry but I noobbed out and didn't take a pic of it in the test jar. I'll get one Friday when I check it again.

Well it has been 13 days since brew day and I took my first gravity reading since them. OG was right at 1049.0. Now it is 1012.0. I tried a small sample and lemme tell you I was impressed! Had very distinguishable banana notes but not overpowering. I think it's gonna nice. Can't wait to bottle. I'm already wanting to start another. Oh and sorry but I noobbed out and didn't take a pic of it in the test jar. I'll get one Friday when I check it again.

What??? You haven't started another beer yet? :D

I sometimes have 2 or 3 going at one time so I can have a range of beers to drink. Some days I prefer a blond, some days I'm a stout lover.:fro:

Back