My first AG! An impromptu BIAB....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-love

Reaction score
I decided after my last extract batch that I wanted to step into all grain. I bought most of the stuff to make my cooler MLT and the grain to make Orfy's Mild last weekend.

Well.......... I work full time, I go to grad school, and I have a 1 yr old son so free time is at a minimum. I didn't have time to build the MLT, so I just had my grain sitting here crushed and waiting on me. Yesterday we had a snow day (my wife and I are teachers) so I ran to the hardware store and bought a 5 gallon paint strainer bag.

Now, my actual brew pot is 10 gallons, so the bag wouldn't really work with that pot. So I was thinking..... I have a 7.5 gallon pot that I use for shrimp and crawfish boils. I know that people say you aren't supposed to use a pot that you have previously cooked in, but it was my only option and I figured eff it. I gave it a shot because for me it's better to brew and see what happens than to let the grain sit and go bad.

Anyway, it turned out to be a great day and this was a good intro to AG. Everything went as planned, I hit my numbers, and there are signs of fermentation.... :) Let's just hope the fact that I cook in that pot doesn't mess up my beer. Just thought I'd share.... :mug:

I would just be careful of any lingering items in a pot that was used for other things. If it's SS, you have less chance of lingering flavors. If it's aluminum, make sure it's conditioned/cured before you go to use it...

I've been using a 32 quart aluminum pot lately, but am planning on getting either a 60 or 80 quart, that I can put a steamer insert into. That way, I can put the grain bag in THAT, and not have to worry about it not fitting around the lip of the pot. Plus, with either of those sizes, I'll be able to go 10 gallon batches pretty easily. I might go with the 80 just so that I can do the single infusion, no mash out method... Before I use that pot, I'll need to get a propane burner (of course) but that's already part of the plan...

Yeah, I hear what you're saying and generally I wouldn't have used that pot, but I have a false bottom for that one and the bag fit it. I have a 10 gal pot that is dedicated for brewing and I'm working on acquiring (legally) some kegs to make keggles. We'll see what happens, and if the beer tastes like seafood I'll just enter it into a competition in 23A. :)

Back