My fermentor almost exploded this morning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkevinb

Reaction score
I cooked up an experimental batch of brown ale yesterday and put it into my Mr. Beer LBK. This morning I went to check on it and I could hear bubbling when I walked in the room. It had never done that before. I also noticed a little drip pool under the spigot. I decided I'd better look into this more closely. When I went to unscrew the top it was very, very tight. And as soon as I loosened it BAM!

Fortunately I keep it in the spare bathtub and the explosion was directed sideways by the top. Foam gushed out. I scooped a bunch out, cleaned the vents and the mess and put the top back on. A few minutes later I went to check on it and more pressure and foamed gushed out when I took the lid off. So I cleaned up the mess the second time and just set the lid on the top of the keg.

I guess I don't have to wonder whether fermentation has started. I sure am glad I checked on it before I went to work. SWMBO would not have been happy. Note to self: Use bucket and blow-off tube with this recipe, NOT the LBK.

What is a LBK?

Sorry, it's a Little Brown Keg:

MrBeerSmall.jpg

I had a similar result from a bourbon vanilla porter and after running through 3 clogged airlocks switched over to a blow off tube.

Those LBKs don't strike me as being the sturdiest fermenters. I have one leftover from a Mr. Beer kit that a friend got and "donated" to me, but I haven't used it other than for the 2 batches that came with the kit.

Those Mr Beer fermenters really need an airlock system, drill a hole in the top and attach one, or at least stick a blowoff tube in there.

Those LBKs don't strike me as being the sturdiest fermenters. I have one leftover from a Mr. Beer kit that a friend got and "donated" to me, but I haven't used it other than for the 2 batches that came with the kit.

I've used mine quite a bit. Actually, I'm amazed how sturdy it was this morning. It was under a HUGE amount of pressure. I've had a little weeping from the vents before, but nothing like this. It's still pushing the top off and foaming over. I'm sure it would have been quite spectacular when it finally failed, and I'm sure SWMBO would have been calling me all sorts of names.

Sounds dangerous without a way to vent the pressure.

Almost Famous Brewing Company

It has vents under the lid but they can get clogged with krausen/hops just like an airlock can. They're intended to vent CO2, not massive amounts of debris. It doesn't have an easy way to rig a blow-off tube without modifications.

It has vents under the lid, but they can get clogged with krausen/hops, just like an airlock can. They're intended to vent CO2, not massive amounts of debris. It doesn't have an easy way to rig a blow-off tube without modifications.

Go get you a 5 gallon bucket, and just use the Mr Beer Vessel to hold water or something........C'mon man, get with the program !!!........:fro:

Go get you a 5 gallon bucket, and just use the Mr Beer Vessel to hold water or something........C'mon man, get with the program !!!........:fro:

I have one. I just use the LBK and a couple of 1 gallon jugs for experimental batches. I may have to rethink that approach.

One of the bakeries I have gotten buckets from gave me 3 and 4 gallon icing buckets. There is that free option as well for doing smaller batches.

I'm surprised nobody has had one explode with no airlock and easily clogged vents.

Latest posts

Back