My fermentation temp got too cold--what now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicalBrewer

Reaction score
So the fridge I use to ferment my beer is in an unheated garage. Temps here in Colorado have been around 0 at night. I have a temperature controller hooked up and use a light bulb to keep the beer warm. This works fine until the light bulb burns out. :mad: I came home from work today and both my beers were at 48 degrees.

I have been checking the fridge daily, so I know it's been less than 24 hours at that temperature. The yeast I'm using for the two beers is Nottingham and WLP007 Dry English Ale. The WLP has been fermenting 11 days so it may be close to done, but the Nottingham has only been fermenting 3 days.

If I warm the fridge back up will the yeast wake back up and finish their job? Do I just warm it back up to the temp I was fermenting at (67)?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

yea, just let it warm back up and let it go. May want to give it a little swirl to get the yeast back in suspension if it doesn't start back up. Do you know what the gravity is at this moment?

The Nottingham is what I'm most worried about. OG was 1.057. Currently at 1.013. It's actually a hard cherry limeade and should finish at .995

Back