My Cream Ale Water Sheet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIAB-Tim

Reaction score
This is my 1st time building my water profile Using Distilled Water and adding back. doing BIAB 3 gal batch treating 5 gal. of water do my additions look Ok" Water is Key and I'm trying to get it right ! Trying to keep it balanced. Thanks for the Help

IMG_1082.jpg

Last edited:
I've never built up water from distilled or RO, but that looks like a lot of MgSO4 I'm not sure that I would add any magnesium.

What do you get if you leave out the Epsom salts, increase the gypsum to about 4 grams and add maybe half a gram of table salt?

Take out the magnesium sulfate, and consider taking out most of the gypsum. A cream ale shouldn't have a high sulfate level, especially if you're using German type hops.

More important that the actual additions is to target a mash pH of about 5.3-5.4. You may need some acid for that, but double check once you remove the magnesium sulfate and most (or all ) of the gypsum.

For Cream Ale, the simple addition of 3 grams of CaCl2 into 5 gallons of distilled or good RO water will work well.

But if you feel the pressing need to have a little sulfate present, you may consider trying this for 5 gallons of distilled or good RO:

CaCl2 = 2.1 g.
CaSO4 = 0.65 g.
NaCl = 0.80 g.

The above is a respectably close match to the analyticals for an artesian spring water that I used to purchase (years ago) for light ales and (mainly) lagers. The only things I have left out of it are the unnecessary magnesium and alkalinity.

https://mashmadeeasy.yolasite.com/

Back