My clogged dip tube fix, is this a horrible idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjwor

Reaction score
I kegged 2 dry-hopped beers last week before going on vacation. Came back to a couple of clogged dip tubes, I guess I racked a bit much trub into my kegs.

I took apart the keg and the pop-it was stuffed full of hops, along with the dip tubes. I cleaned and put things back together, clogged again instantly.

To try to flush everything I took the pop-it out, and removed the male end of the pop-it from a ball lock fitting. Things starting flowing great, with some hops floating around in the glass.

I've decided to leave the set up like this for a few days to allow anything I stirred up when trying to unclog it to settle back and flush in my cup.

Should I have any concerns, other than accidentally removing the line without depressurizing the keg? (I went through that on flushing one of the dip tubes, it was very clogged, when it broke lose without a pop-it @ 20psi it gave me a very quick reminder to use the PRV before removing anything)

Yes, the PRV is your friend.
And there's nothing like a surprise cold beer bath ;)

I don't think there's much to worry about, eventually you'll have flushed out the kegs and can put the poppets and plungers back where they belong. NBD...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back