My Beer has a akaline or just an off flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMyLove

Reaction score
Any thoughts to what could have caused this slightly off flavor on the finish. I made an irish red ale and when I drink it is slightly hoppier than other reds and the finish is just off like and akaline or chlorine like flavor.

Any help is appreciated

I know this beer is done and drinkable but not great. I just do not want to make the same mistake again.

:mug::rockin::confused:

Did you use tap water? If so, it may be that your water had chlorine in it, or a high alkalinity. My tap water tastes good, but it's too high in bicarbonate to make really great tasting beer. So I use reverse osmosis water, and that makes a big difference.

I started using local spring water from the source for 10c per gallon. Def better than tap water by a noticeable margin. works well for anything from AE to PM BIAB.

Alright I had taken out two bottles and forgot to mark them as one of the first poured beers and the last poured beers i marked two down but now the other two. I aerated the heck out of the last few beers when bottling so I figured that is what happened I drank an aerated beer. I am now drinking an early pour and the taste is on point. But I am from this moment on going to use a Campden Tablet.

http://morebeer.com/products/campden-tablets-25.html

Back