My Bee Hive Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marubozo

I can has homebrew?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I've been meaning to get around to making a wort chiller since my last post here asking if it was worth it and finally picked up most of the supplies today. I heard about some of the troubles with using 1/2" over 3/8" but figured I could muscle it if I have to and decided on 50 feet 1/2" for about $20 more.

I got everything home and realized I didn't have a good mold for making the coils. Searched the garage far and wide and the best I could find was a paint can but was not thrilled about the narrow diameter. I don't have any corney kegs or anything so I figured I'd have to make some abomination by hand and free form.

But, I looked in the garden and saw our bird bath just sitting there and decided to take some measurements. Sure enough, the base was wide enough to make an 11" diameter coil. But it was also tapered. Oh well, I figured what the hell, who cares if it gradually decreases in diameter with height. In fact, with this setup it would allow me to actually stir both outside and inside the coils when cooling which should hopefully speed things up even a bit faster. Proof will be in the pudding I suppose.

So, I went with it. Actually, I'm quite pleased with the results thus far. Test fit it in my 22.5 qt pot and it is almost flush with the top of the pot. For my 4.5 gal boils it should only leave about 2 or 3 of the top coils exposed above the surface of the wort. But I was hoping to step up to full boils this fall anyway so there was no reason to skimp.

Anyway, I thought it was kind of interesting how it ended up looking like a bee hive due to the taper. Here's the work in progress. I thought I would have completed it tonight but apparently my propane torch is out of gas so I have to grab another one tomorrow to sweat the fittings on. Just a few fittings, attach some hose, and get some thin copper wire to keep the coils in place and it should be ready to go :rockin:

chiller11.jpg

chiller21.jpg

chiller31.jpg

Hah! That's an excellent idea. Actually I'm brewing a winter ale and oberon clone this weekend, but had I known I'd be building a copper bee hive I would have brewed something with honey :D

Well it's finally complete. It might not be beautiful but it should get the job done. I could have done it cheaper for sure by just getting some bulk vinyl tubing and a few hose clamps but I sprung for the hose fittings just to get it out of the way and to make things easier.

All said and done and I think the damage was around $70-$75 for a 50' 1/2" setup. Still about half of what it would have cost to buy one online and have it shipped. Thanks for the encouragement in my previous post to get me off my ass and actually make it happen :ban:

With upper extensions and threaded fittings:

chiller41.jpg

Complete with hoses:

chiller51.jpg

Hose fittings:

chiller61.jpg

Latest posts

Back