My attempt at a wild fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louie0202

Reaction score
I prepared 1.5L of a mild starter at 1.030 gravity. I placed three mason jars two outside and one inside by the window for approximately 12 hours, I also threw in some grain into one of the jars. I placed a cheese cloth over each one to keep bugs etc out.

This morning I dumped them all into a one gallon fermenter with an airlock. Hopefully I will get some decent wild yeast, seems like overall it's pretty hit or miss if people get lucky with this. After reading Brew Like a Monk though I had to give it a shot and thought after reading the other wild fermentation thread that this would be a better method then chancing a whole 3 or 5 gallon batch. If it doesn't work out, not a huge issue as I have some Abbey II that I can use for my next brew :p

Depending on the temperatures where you are,I would say you are quite likely to get lacto from the grains at least.

It was about 50 degrees outside last night and about 68 - 70 inside my house.....in a day or two if anything emerges i will post a pic.

Back