My Archaeology Class Creative Brewing Project (asking for advice)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRW1

Reaction score
Hey yall.
In my archaeology class we have the option to do a creative project for 10% of our grade and after I let my teacher know I was a homebrewer, she enthusiastically told me she would love a creative homebrewing project.

So the idea is that I could either: brew a modern interpretation of an ancient beer recipe like how dogfish head does it; brew a modern beer simply with ancient ingredients added, as a lot of the ancient beer recipes use special bread as mash instead of crushed grain for the mash and/or are completely different than what we drink and brew nowadays (having bread chunks in the beer, no hops, use of different roots, herbs, flavoring things).

I did some research of the places where beer residue was found in pots and stuff like that, like egypt (where they threw special loaves of bread into standing water, which fermented with yeast in the air), places in neolithic europe where barley was used in the mash, and especially places in Czech where hops were first used in ales.

The brew day will be this weekend and I'll be joined by a classmate who's also a homebrewer. We have yet to set a recipe/style of brew.

We seem to both want hops added, which means we can model it after ancient czech ales.
Do you have any information about the ingredients that were added to ancient beers/ales?
Any information about cultures I haven't mentioned who brewed beer?
Any input?
Thanks

Very cool! Basic Brewing Radio had a podcast interview with an Archaeologist who discovered a site (I think in Turkey). Check it out.

One thing I remember from that show was how they got yeast into the beer. While they didn't understand yeast at the time, they knew that adding fresh fruit to the beer would make fermentation work. This is because the skin of fruit is loaded with yeast. I believe they used figs in the site I heard about, but I assume it would work with most fruits.

An idea would be to split your batch, add normal yeast to half and use the yeast on the skin of fruit to natually ferment the other.

Just and idea, will be interested to hear about this!

Cheers! :mug:

Back