My 50th batch and finally go to 10 gal.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12pmmike

Reaction score
Thought I would share a pic of my IC for ten gal. batches. For my 50th batch i finally got the courage to brew 10 gal. Instead of 5 gal. The day way a bit longer than normal but it went smooth. I tried the triple hopped Miller using some home grown hops.. I still can't believe how cheap this recipe is for 10 gallons. Also a pic of the starter I made, it's rockin.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

1393041164164.jpg

1393041208534.jpg

1393041265240.jpg

1393041281871.jpg

That is a kicking starter! Is that in a 1 gallon jug? That chiller is also impressive! I am also preparing to make the jump to 10 gallon batches. I have two kegs to play with, one for boil and one for Hot Water Tank. I have a 10 gallon Igloo Tun that should be fine for the average brew. I have several larger coolers yet to be modified for larger grain bills. This past Friday I fried the front large burner and burner socket on the kitchen stove, so propane here I come!

I started collecting steel to build a dedicated brew stand, looks like I'll be welding here VERY soon. Then my small chiller will need an up grade! I have two 25' coils of copper. Did you take pics of the construction of your chiller?

Cheers,
Pete

No build pics. Works pretty good. Nocks temps down quick if I recirculate ice water through it. Wish I had a plate chiller though due to the size of it.

One gallon jug. I split that starter between two 5 gal buckets. Took off in 12 hours. Rockin.

I have a 50' x 3/8" stainless chiller now and having some copper tubing is tempting for a build, but I think the plate chiller will be the way to go. Of course the I'll need a pump, hoses and connectors, $$$$

Yep.. $$ I'm in the same boat. Would like to go all electric but $$

Did you have any problem with scorching? I have a HP 100,000 BTU burner for the Kettle. I haven't tried it yet, the base for the Burner doesn't seem to be Keggle friendly. I'll make a larger "platform" for the keggle when I build a brew stand and I'm also thinking about putting a round 1/4" or 3/8" thick plate between the keggle and the burner. Does that sound crazy?

My set up. It has been a work in progress. But I have enjoyed every minute of it. No I have not had any problems with scorching I use a big Bayou classic burner in my homemade stand it is very stable and brings my wort temperature up quick. The tall stand has my old turkey fryer burner in it. I would like to replace it with a larger burner but I am waiting on the decision whether to go to all electric

1393458331041.jpg

So my concern going to ten gallon setup is the boiling of a preboil volume of approximately 13 gallons and getting through the hot break without boil over. I have the same keggle setup and don't want boil over. Any tricks?

I boiled 14 gallons being careful at the beginning of the boil and regulating heat to prevent a boil over. It wasn't that bad

Back