Muskoka Brewery Detour IPA recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickbrew

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking to try my best at making a version of this beer or at least take the things that I enjoy about it and create an equally good and different IPA.
For those that are unfamiliar with this beer, details can be found here : http://www.muskokabrewery.com/detour.php

What I know:
IBU: 30
ABV: 4.3%
Unfiltered IPA
Dry hopped

The characteristics that I really enjoy about it are the fact that it is very sessionable, the hops are bright and flavorful without being sharp (medium bitterness). The aromas that really stand out are citrus and grapefruit, with pine and citrus hop flavoring. I am thinking maybe citra, cascade, hallertau and/or maybe Northern Brewer?
Any assistance to create a recipe is greatly appreciated, I still have much to learn. Looking specifically for a good sessionable IPA grain bill and an appropriate hop schedule for the above description.

I am thinking of following Weezys description of making a sessionable IPA:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=6844015#post6844015

With the following grain bill:
Fixed Session IPA (1.045)
U.S. Pale Malt 7.2 lbs. (88%)
Crystal 60 0.5 lbs. (6%)
Carapils/Dextrin Malt 0.5 lbs. (6%)

Also, I don't understand HOW to do it but I think that it should be easy enough to cultivate the yeast if I have a bottle of the beer because it's unfiltered...which I do. How would I go about doing this?

I would try and shoot the brewery/ head brewer an email and see if he responds. Some will respond and get you on the right track with the grains and hop schedule.

I was just in Buffalo a few weeks ago and picked up a Muskoka mixed pack to drink before and after the Tragically Hip concert. The mixed pack did not have "Detour" but it did have "Mad Tom" IPA, which was solid. I did not detect any specific or unique yeast flavors in "Mad Tom," "Twice as Mad Tom," or the cream ale. I would use a neutral ale yeast like S-05, Wyeast 1056, Nottingham, etc. rather than trying to collect the yeast, assuming they use the same yeast that "Detour" does. I also did not notice any yeast at the bottom of the bottle, so unless it is bottle conditioned, it is unlikely you would be able to cultivate any yeast.

Thats a great idea, I will e-mail the brewery and see what information that they will divulge.

While I agree with you that the Mad Tom, Twice as Mad Tom and the cream ale have a pretty neutral yeast flavor, I have detected something different with the detour which I cant put my finger on. They also specifically say that it is unfiltered so I thought that that might provide a good base to cultivate from but so far I haven't found any sediment in the bottles.

I heard back from them. The hops are:
Citra, Sorachi Ace and Eldorado.

Thats funny cause i emailed them to try and get some insight on the Cream Ale recipe or shoot me in right direction and they directed me to the website! THATS IT!
If anyone is a fan of the cream ale and wants to try and tackle it let me know thanks.

The Cream ale is amazing. I loved it when they had them in the old 5L mini-kegs "the Docker" before they redesigned them. In my opinion a much better pouring system. I will see how things turn out for the IPA and see if I want to tackle the cream ale after, although to be fair i'm not really looking to clone this; just taking what I like from it and making it into a great IPA.

Having said that, now that I know what hops are in there I have never made an IPA recipe before so I don't know a good hop schedule or grain bill for a solid 4.3% IPA...any takers? Note: I agree, the yeast is probably something neutral so I will probably go with S-05, especially to let these hops shine for this first time making it.

This is what I came up with...I have no experience with any of these hops so if anyone that does have experience can tell me if there is something blatantly wrong please do.

Fermentables:
9lb Canadian Pale 2-row (90%)
0.5lb Caramel 60L (5%)
0.5 Carapils (5%)

60min mash @ 156
Sparge @ 168

Hops:
El Dorado FWH 0.5oz
Citra Boil 20mins 0.5oz
Sorachi Ace Boil 10mins 0.5oz
Dry hop 0.5oz of each for 8 days

Using US-05
(75% efficiency, however I have been getting closer to 70 lately)

OG: 1.049
FG: 1.011
ABV: 5.01%

IBU: 39.66
SRM: 6.47 (Would like to get this a bit higher if possible)

This would put me at a ABV + IBU right between APA and IPA styling which is where I think this should be.

NickBrew, have you brewed this yet? If so, how'd it turn out?
I think it's a great summer beer. If it went well I'd try an extract/steeping grain version.

I tried doing something similar, but my LHBS doesnt carry El Dorado and Sorachi Ace is pretty unique; I didn't want to try using it without knowing a proper hop schedule because I figured it could go pretty wrong with the strong dill flavor.

I went with this:

9lb Canadian Pale 2-row (90%)
0.5lb Caramel 120L (5%)
0.5 Carapils (5%)

Add 1.28qt/lb 60min mash @ 156.
Sparge w/ remaining water to get to preboil volune @ 168

Hops:
Fuggle FWH 1oz
Saaz Boil 20mins 1oz
Citra Boil 10mins 0.5oz
Dryhop Citra 0.25oz primary for last 7 days
Dryhop Citra 0.25oz secondary for 7 days

US-05 Yeast rehydrated

OG: 1.049
Actual OG: 1.047

Primary @65 for 14 days at 65C. Up to 72C from days 6-7 and then back down to 67C.
Secondary for 7 days at 55C to clean it up. I might get lower if I can.

Currently on day 7 of primary, vamped it up because the krausen is still very thick. So far it is very clean and balanced and I will be dry hopping tomorrow as long as the krausen drops. Should end out mid 4-5%abv so it will be very sessionable and have the grapefruit and pine flavors of Detour.

I tried doing something similar, but my LHBS doesnt carry El Dorado and Sorachi Ace is pretty unique; I didn't want to try using it without knowing a proper hop schedule because I figured it could go pretty wrong with the strong dill flavor.

Currently on day 7 of primary, vamped it up because the krausen is still very thick. So far it is very clean and balanced and I will be dry hopping tomorrow as long as the krausen drops. Should end out mid 4-5%abv so it will be very sessionable and have the grapefruit and pine flavors of Detour.

I can't get El Dorado either, I recall almost a hint of peach to the beer which must come from that hop. I'm definitely not at a stage where I feel comfortable messing around with Sorachi Ace!

Hope it turns out well!

Just as an update: I hit my FG yesterday of 1.010. Good flavor, slightly estery aroma so next time I would vamp up to 70C max.

Dryhopping in primary now, citra should overpower it in any means and it was in no way unpleasant just not what I was looking for.

Update:

I dropped the ball lately with this batch, I should have bottled it a week ago but I was spending my time on a few other brews.

Turns out that extra week really did a number on the ferment, FG was 1.006 instead of projected 1.011 so a total abv of 5.38%. I actually prefer the dryness to it. Tastes great flat and I really like the hop blend. This turned out into more of an APA. I'm not the biggest hop head and the IBU's were spot on for my taste, especially with the malt backbone. If you prefer a really hoppy IPA you could probably double the dry hopping and late editions without pushing any limits.

Will post in a few weeks once it's carbed.

Any updates on the taste after bottle conditioning?

My favorite beer that I have made so far. Super refreshing, slightly hoppy and turned out quite bright. Nice creamy head to it as well. Would still say to increase hop bill for hopheads but this was very nice for a summer session beer.

Latest posts

Back