Muscadine wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rita36

Reaction score
Started my wine out at 1.1. I took hulls and seed off at 1.08 now it's 1.01. It's only been like this for three days. I want to put it in another jug to finish. Is it ok to rack again so soon. ?

I left my crushed muscadines in my primary bucket, stirring twice daily for 5-6 days. Then I transferred the wine, minus the crushed grapes, into my secondary to finish the ferment. After about 5 weeks in the secondary, the wine had clarified significantly and I racked again into another clean carboy to further clarify and bulk age. That's where it's sitting now until I bottle it right before Christmas.

Check out some of my pics I took of the progress:

Crushing/primary

After racking into secondary-

After racking into glass carboy to bulk age and further clarify-

Looks very nice. My fermentation has stuck at 1.01 when I transferred to secondary.

Thank you!

Your fermentation might be about done if you started at 1.100

How much for a jug? Shipping to Alabama? Haha just kidding. My uncle used to make several 5gallon batches of that stuff a year. Gooooood stuff.

How much for a jug? Shipping to Alabama? Haha just kidding. My uncle used to make several 5gallon batches of that stuff a year. Gooooood stuff.

Above was the first batch of muscadine wine i've done and so far is the best tasting grape wine i've ever done. Then again, i've only done grape wine from concentrate before this muscadine batch. lol

I've got a bunch of frozen bronze muscadine in my freezer just waiting for me to get to them. :rockin:

Above was the first batch of muscadine wine i've done and so far is the best tasting grape wine i've ever done. Then again, i've only done grape wine from concentrate before this muscadine batch. lol

I've got a bunch of frozen bronze muscadine in my freezer just waiting for me to get to them. :rockin:

Its hands down the best wine I've ever drank. There's maybe one sweet red I like and something that was as purple as it could be I had a couple bottles of on my wedding night. Neither of those touched the muscadine wine he made.

Edit, it was also pretty strong lol.

I figured out what was wrong. The temp of the must was at 69-70. I put a heater in it and now it's bubbling away again. The muscadine to me is the best also. Scupernog is not as good. I think I will focus on muscadine. It is strong so I don't know if I should stop the fermentation instead of encouraging it more.

Dang y'all, one of the few years since I was 13 I ain't made muscadine. Dry weather here hit my vines hard and they just didn't produce, my blackberries were hurt too. Now I'm craving both.

I figured out what was wrong. The temp of the must was at 69-70. I put a heater in it and now it's bubbling away again. The muscadine to me is the best also. Scupernog is not as good. I think I will focus on muscadine. It is strong so I don't know if I should stop the fermentation instead of encouraging it more.

The strong taste is possibly because it hasn't mellowed some with a little age.

69-70, to me, would be a good temp range to ferment at. To my understanding, higher ferment temps can sometime cause the production of strong off flavors. Plus, without knowing your recipe, i'd venture to say that you don't need to keep encouraging more fermentation. What kind of yeast did you use?

Back