Mr malty confusing output

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klindeman

Reaction score
Why is it that when I plug in a month old viability for a 6 gallon 1.067 beer with intermittent shaking, that it tells me to use 2 packs in a 1.28 liter starter? Couldn't I step up a single pack? How do I figure out the amounts to step up?

Why is it that when I plug in a month old viability for a 6 gallon 1.067 beer with intermittent shaking, that it tells me to use 2 packs in a 1.28 liter starter? Couldn't I step up a single pack? How do I figure out the amounts to step up?
Drag the slider at the bottom to the right = use larger starter (fewer yeast packets)
there are better ways to calculate pitching rates than mr malty. here is just one

But what about if you are not using Wyeast?

But what about if you are not using Wyeast?[/QUOTE]

the yeast don't know that. the chart shows how many yeast cells per quantity of wort.

the yeast don't know that. the chart shows how many yeast cells per quantity of wort.

Sorry I was just looking at the calculator and it is specific to Wyeast (act. / prop.)
The charts give you how much yeast cells you need but don't tell you how much you have.

Wyeast and White Labs both put about 100 billion cells in a package.

The viability by date is very conservative on Mr. Malty. It favors over pitching as being better than under pitching. If you're looking for a lot of yeast character that might not be the case.

Viability of yeast stored in the refrigerator doesn't drop much at all even after several months.

1g of extract will grow about 1 billion cells. That's all you really need to know to estimate the number of cells grown by a starter.

Wyeast and White Labs both put about 100 billion cells in a package.

The viability by date is very conservative on Mr. Malty. It favors over pitching as being better than under pitching. If you're looking for a lot of yeast character that might not be the case.

Viability of yeast stored in the refrigerator doesn't drop much at all even after several months.

1g of extract will grow about 1 billion cells. That's all you really need to know to estimate the number of cells grown by a starter.

That brings up another question - Mr Malty tells you how much (volume) of starter to make but not what gravity, is the starter OG noted anywhere? or is it just assumed that starter OG = wort OG (in which case I thought it was best to use a starter OG around 1.030ish)

That brings up another question - Mr Malty tells you how much (volume) of starter to make but not what gravity, is the starter OG noted anywhere? or is it just assumed that starter OG = wort OG (in which case I thought it was best to use a starter OG around 1.030ish)

Good question. The estimator is assuming a 1.035 (9°P) wort. The details are buried on the site somewhere.

Back