Mr Beer!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeyrounds

Reaction score
Finally racked my first beers! It was a long two weeks. Yes, with Mr Beer. I had about 6oz left and used that for my tasting. Aroma kinda sucks, almost smells of an apple. The colour, a golden, light orange with hints of red. To my surprise though, the taste was borderline good. Semi-sweet, smooth, hints of the crisp lager taste I love. I can honestly say, I have bought crappier beers off of the shelf.

Now I am even more anxious for my proper batch to finish fermenting (5lb Bavarian wheat DME, with 1oz hops at 60, .5 at 30, and .5 at 10.) 5gal batch.
Fingers crossed, seems like it can only get better from here. Thanks guys.:D

Congrats! Yes it will get better if you only believe in yourself! (And click your heels together and say, "There's no beer like home! There's no beer like home. There's no bee like homebrew!"

Mr. Beer is like those toy carpenter tools for kids. They either decide that wood working is not for them and throw out the tools or get frustrated, buy real tools and go on to make something. Either way the toy tools don't last long.

Finally threw out my Mr. Beer that I was hanging on for sentimental reasons. (I never did get a good batch but figured I just needed to get the right colored shoes)

T

Congrats. You are in for a fun trip.

I skipped the Mr. Beer, canned hopped extracts and started with Northern Brewer kits. 4 extracts kits, 4 partial mash one was a kit, then to all grain, one kit then by recipe. After following recipes I started altering recipes before creating my own.

The Mr. Beer LBK (little brown keg) is just a small volume fermenter. You can use it to make good beer as long as you do all the things required to make good beer (sanitation, fresh ingredients ,control fermentation temperature etc.).

You mentioned you are now doing a 5 gallon batch. That's great but hang on to the Mr. Beer fermenter as it could be useful in making small experimental batches later on. That is unless you are planning on passing it on to someone else to get them hooked on the hobby as well.

Congrats!! I still keep my Mr. Beer fermenter for small test batches. I placed a seal in the lid and drilled a hole for grommet and an airlock.

Like others I did a few of the Mr. Beer kits, then went to extract & partial mash now I'm into doing BIAB (with one extract kit left to brew).

Welcome to the addiction!! Or hobby!! No one judges here!! Cheers!!

This is exactly how I started. Definitely do not throw away those little fermenters. They are really awesome when you are in a pinch space wise.

Definitely do not throw away those little fermenters. They are really awesome when you are in a pinch space wise.

Well, crud! I've went through 2 Mr Beer LBK "kegs" and even reversing the washer on the spigot and cant' get either one to pass the leak test. So, guess I won't be brewin' any beer with a Mr. Beer kit. Grrr! :mad:

Congrats!! I still keep my Mr. Beer fermenter for small test batches. I placed a seal in the lid and drilled a hole for grommet and an airlock.

Like others I did a few of the Mr. Beer kits, then went to extract & partial mash now I'm into doing BIAB (with one extract kit left to brew).

Welcome to the addiction!! Or hobby!! No one judges here!! Cheers!!

Never actually thought about completely sealing the lid. How would you do it with the funky groovy notches in it?

Finally racked my first beers! It was a long two weeks. Yes, with Mr Beer. I had about 6oz left and used that for my tasting. Aroma kinda sucks, almost smells of an apple.

I did one batch via the package because it was a gift. I had the green apple flavor as well. I'm pretty sure it didn't ferment long enough. After my first batch, I went all in and did a all grain second batch. I like risks and research. It came out pretty well using the LBK. You are about to embark on a fun hobby. :ban:

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1460932468.508528.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1460932484.715159.jpg

A few people have been curious about how I sealed the Mr. Beer lid. I've been away on business travel so I haven't been able to take photos until now.

I found a small rubber gasket at my local Ace Hardware to help seal the small grooves. I took the lid in to find the right size but I think it was about 4.5 inches in diameter. The rubber gasket was found in the plumbing section and I think it was for a kitchen sink drain.

When I drilled the hole for the grommet the lid cracked a little. I found the food grade/safe sealant on Amazon and sealed it from the outside instead of from the inside. I don't know if this makes a difference it not but why not.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask any additional questions.

View attachment 350804

View attachment 350805

When I drilled the hole for the grommet the lid cracked a little. I found the food grade/safe sealant on Amazon and sealed it from the outside instead of from the inside. I don't know if this makes a difference it not but why not.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask any additional questions.

Hmmm. I might try that on the spigot on my LBKs that - neither one - seem to seal tight enough to be leak tight per their directions.

I was sitting at my desk this morning thinking about this leakage problem round the spigot hole.... Then it struck me! What'd I have to lose gently taking some fine grit sandpaper to the overhang/lip along the mold seam that was causing the problem?

SO, tonight after work I gently sanded the spigot whole area flush and - I'm proud to say - I AM IN BUSINESS! The LBK passed the leak test and I got the first batch brewing!:mug::)

Have it set inside an old Coleman cooler so it's dark and undisturbed for 2-3 weeks per the directions!

Back