Moving to Apartment, no open flames

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xenomaniac

Reaction score
I currently live in a house sharing it with a roommate who is the owner. After my last brew I made over the summer which, involved one bottle exploding, my roommate told me I can no longer brew at his house. I tried reasoning with him but, he isn't the type to reason with. With that I've decided to move out into my own place.

I found a new place to live and I'll be on the third floor. As usual, apartments won't let you use any open flames on the balcony due to fire hazard. I'm sure I could brew inside but, I know the smell can be very potent once the hops is introduced. I don't want to make the switch to electric but seems like this is going to be the best choice. What would be a good inexpensive hot plate that I can use for my situation?

What size batches do you do? What method of brewing? All-Grain or Extract? A little more information could be helpful.

A lot of us put heating elements (water heater elements essentially) directly into the equipment for the most efficient use. There are multiple ways of doing this so knowing more about your brew plans could help narrow it down.

Daughters boyfriend lives in apartment block, he does his brewing outside by the maintenance shed at side of main car-park, he has running water and plenty of space to place his setup... might be an option available to you

I use two 1500W elements in a keggle at my apartment. Just pull power from two separate circuits and you are ready to go.

I was doing mini mash for a while but made the move to extract brewing because it's faster. I do batches from 5 - 6.5 gallons with my 7 gallon fermenter. The stainless steel pot I use is a 20 quart measuring at about 12" diameter.

Latest posts

Back