Moving the plants?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanPoch

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So here is it 2PM in my neck of the woods and the hops that I planted this year, Magnum and Willamette, are not in the sun yet. It turns out that the sunny spot that my wife and I set aside for them is not as sunny as we thought. Damn those oak leaves!

Two of the Magnums are up, one at 18" the other 36"
One of the Willamette is about 4", the other rotted in the ground.

So the question my wife asked me is: 'should we move them to a sunnier spot?'

These are first year plants and I'm inclined to just leave well enough alone and move them in the spring next year.

Anyone with more experience have any thoughts?

I would leave them for this year. You might still get a late harvest. Move them before spring as early as possible after the threat of frost is gone.

I'm in the exact same situation.. stupid me didn't take into account that when I planted them the leaves were not on the trees yet.

I guess I'm lucky that I live in a new cluster of a neighborhood. I don't have a tree above 15'. What I didn't account for was that my Zeus would shade my cascade from the afternoon sun.

Having said that.. my Cascades are insane. Only planted at the end of April, and they are probably 6 ft. already.. even with almost constant shade.

I would leave them for this year. You might still get a late harvest. Move them before spring as early as possible after the threat of frost is gone.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Would be a bonus to get a harvest this year. I wasn't thinking I'd get anything from this this year.

It just depends on everything. Sun, soil, water, temperature, humidity, pests, etc. My first year Zeus and Cascade are putting on a show. They are in a raised box with excellent soil though with sun throughout the day and water morning, afternoon, or both.

The good news for you is that late season hop harvest are supposed to have a better flavor and aroma.

Back