Moved to second fermenter today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplehops

Reaction score
Hello!
After a week in the primary, I moved to the second fermentor. Should I cover that as well with a towel to keep light out?
Starting my next batch tonight! :D

Always avoid light, regardless of the time (after boiling - don't boil in the dark).

Duplicate, sorry. Damn iPhone.

Easier than a towel and very effective - wrap the entire secondary in aluminum foil. Zero light penetration - and it stays put too.

I use a black t-shirt over my carboy. Works like a charm and easy to take a peak when u want to see what is going on.

Depending on the season,I've used dark tee shirts,old fleece lined CPO's,& a black velvet smoking jacket the dang dog chewed up. Out of all of them,the black velvet maintains the lowest temps,& more evenly. Besides just keeping out light.

Just another example of the millions of uses of a black velvet smoking jacket. What CAN'T you do with one?

:)

Gettin laid wasn't a problem with that & black silk pajamas. Guess I couldn't go to work at Ford in it. but other than that...
I kept an eye on temps,& the Cooper's micro brew FV loved it. The BB ale pail got jellous,& was a degree warmer. Black velvet if you please.:mug:

404-web page not found. You right click on the web address at the top. then left click on the chained globe simple at the top of the reply window. Then place the cursor over the box,& left click again to paste the addy in the box. Then hit ok.

What sort of light do i avoid i have had my fermenter in a dark corner of my room gets no direct natural light and just the above room light would this affect the beer?

I use foil over the top of the spout and part of the container, but put a black t shirt over it. Works perfectly.

What sort of light do i avoid i have had my fermenter in a dark corner of my room gets no direct natural light and just the above room light would this affect the beer?

You mainly want to avoid UV light from sunlight & florescent light. I'd cover it just to be sure. I do with all of mine.

Back