Moved from Pa to Ca

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Transamguy77

Reaction score
Hello guys, the title says it all, I just relocated myself and my family to the San Luis Obispo area in Cali.

It wasn't for a job or anything it all started when my 2 oldest moved out here because they just wanted too, I came out to visit and fell in love with the weather, it's not like hot sweaty gross summer days of Pa. Don't get me wrong about Pa, I will truly miss so much of it, I spent 38 years there and I really will miss the snow and the cold.

Now being out here I'm looking for some help finding a Homebrew club and the activities that go along with that. So if your in my area post away!! Thanks in advance.

I don't know much about the homebrew scene up there, but SLO is great, especially if you like the smaller town / college town atmosphere. While I'm down in the crowded area of CA, if I didn't have to work I'd love to live in a college town like that, as you get the relaxed atmosphere of a small town but without sacrificing the "culture" that you get in bigger cities.

You might want to look at the clubs listed here:

http://www.calhomebrewers.org/about-2/clubs-and-reps/

Oh, and when the Southern California Homebrew Festival comes around, *GO TO IT*. It's quite a drive from SLO, but it's the most fun beer festival I've ever attended, and I've been to GABF ;-)

Thanks bwarbainy, I'm not sure what I think about the town atmosphere just yet but I like what Cali has to offer with the awesome produce and great food.

Thanks for posting that list I'll check it out. I'll post back here with my findings here in SLO in case you want to drive up here sometime :) beer trades could be fun too.

Welcome to SLO Transamguy77, sounds like I'm just a few minutes south of you. Like you, my wife and I moved here from upstate NY about 3 1/2 years ago. But I don't miss the snow, that's for sure. Traded it in for some of the best weather you can find. Good local beer scene - close to Firestone Walker Brewery and also Figueroa Mountain Brewery which has some really nice beers. Also Central Coast Brewing in downtown SLO (gold medal winner at the GABF and World Beer Cup).

Thanks BongoYodeler, to be honest I'm going to miss the cold and snow, I HATE the heat and humidity and the weather out here is what I fell in love with.

And yes the beer scene out here looks pretty good too, I'm going to miss having a brewery a half mile from my house though. I had Free Will very close to me in Perkasie Pa.

Where are you at?

Well, you picked a good time to move. The summer in Philly has been down right disgusting... particularly on trash days.

Thanks BongoYodeler, to be honest I'm going to miss the cold and snow, I HATE the heat and humidity and the weather out here is what I fell in love with.

And yes the beer scene out here looks pretty good too, I'm going to miss having a brewery a half mile from my house though. I had Free Will very close to me in Perkasie Pa.

Where are you at?

Absolutely. Warm days, cool nights and very little humidity. One of my favorite things - no gnats.

I'm in Nipomo, where are you?

Absolutely. Warm days, cool nights and very little humidity. One of my favorite things - no gnats.

I'm in Nipomo, where are you?

Right now I'm in Grover beach and I'll either stay here or Atascadero because that's where I got a job at.

Right now I'm in Grover beach and I'll either stay here or Atascadero because that's where I got a job at.
Grover is a nice little beach town with quite a few small eateries. Close to Fig Mountain, which is good. But even closer is Little Tree Brewing which I've been to once. Without a doubt some of the worst beer I ever drank. I couldn't even finish the three ounce flight glasses. First time I ever tasted Band Aid beer.

Back to your original question - Doc's is a LHBS in SLO and they also host a Homebrew club. Since I'm new to home brewing I've been thinking about joining, but haven't so far.

It's going to take me a few weeks to get settled in but once I do I'll head over there and check them and the home brew club.
You should join! It's a nice to talk to other like minded Brewers. I was part of the original group that started the buck county Brewers and it was nice to meet and discuss beer once a month.

Latest posts

Back