Mount Hood with East Kent Goldings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Likefully

Reaction score
I happen to have enough of the above two hops, combined, to use them as a late addition.

I was thinking of using them on a IPA(ish)/Blonde(ish) recipe of mine - the grain bill is 85% pale and the rest split between biscuit, malenoiden and vienna.

The last time I used the grain bill I used more tropical hops and it came out very nicely.

So I am wondering if these two will work with that sort of grain bill? Will they work nicely together?

I haven't used Mount Hood before and I usually use east kent on darker beers.

There is a nice calculator that will spit out a flavor estimate for many hops combinations.
http://scottjanish.com/hop-oils-calulator/

Plug in how much of each, how you intend to use them, and see whether you like the result.

My two-cents worth: Although they are both great hops, I would not be inclined to pair them, since Mount Hood is more German. If I wanted to finish with EKG, I would probably bitter with something like First Gold or Nugget. If I wanted to bitter with Mount Hood, I would probably finish with something like Liberty, Lublin, or Saphir.

Back