Motorized Corona Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Transamguy77

Reaction score
When I decided to make the move to AG brewing I knew I wanted to be able to mill my own grains to help with consistency and sometimes I brew on a whim so I didn't want to have to rely on my LHBS to mill them. I purchased a Corona mill from another HBT member here and I was stoked to try it out, I planned my first brew and I got started milling! Well it was nice at first but hand cranking took forever so after a few brews I decided that motorizing it was a must.

As an avid DIY'r I look to see what others have done to get ideas then I look and see what I have to do the project. I started to see what motors, pulleys and connectors I had and it happens all I had was a motor.

Sometime that week I had to replace a steering column in a Saturn Vue, just so happens it had electric power steering, as I started looking at the the motor gearbox assembly the wheels started turning and I figured this is what was gonna power my mill and just needed to figure out how to make it happen.

So this is what I came up with.

I mounted the assembly to a board and used a piece of 5/8" heater hose and hose clamps to connect the gearbox to the mill, I needed something flexible and durable at the same time and since the gap was small I thought the hose would work perfectly.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412032453.970198.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412032480.010123.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412032500.935667.jpg

After I was sure it was gonna work I wanted something a bit more stable and I found this cabinet.
And I mounted the whole assembly into it

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412032537.583446.jpg

Then I mounted the motor (still on the board) to the cabinet.

When I was making the top I wanted to still be able to have access to the milling plates so I cut the top so that I can remove that side.

I put this together almost 2 years ago and have run countless sacks of grain through it. It is not the fastest but it does the job and no more hand cranking!!

So since I can't seem to figure out how to edit my thread I'll post the pics I wanted to add here.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412032873.994633.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412032892.389682.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412032935.379162.jpg

I mounted onto a rolling platform so I can wheel it to where I need it.

I use a regular car battery with a set of cut jumper cables that are hard wired to the motor.

Latest posts

Back