Motivation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johow

Reaction score
I worked out of town as a temp for my old employer for about 2 months though I have been back home nearly that long. One of the first things I did after getting home was go to the homebrew store and by supplies for my next batch. It's been nearly a month and a half since I picked that stuff up and I just can't seem to get in the mood to brew. There is always an xcuse, like lousy weather as I brew outside, or I'm working on a garden or I have something planned in the next couple weeks that would keep me from taking care of dry hopping...
Do you guys ever just lose your motivation for brewing?

Yeah, sometimes. Last week I wasn't necessarily wanting to brew but went ahead and pushed myself. I was excited for the brew once started. Right now I can't get motivated to order supplies.

I brew early mornings which gives me time for other things the rest of the day.

I am so tired from the baby not sleeping that it takes a second wind to get me through however once I add that strike water and I dough in and smell that great smell it gets me going.

Sometimes I find breaking the tasks up helps me get going. Pick one or two small things to do and call it a day. For example: weigh the grains. Grind the grains. Weigh and sort the hops. Perhaps, prep and dose the water, etc.. Then relax. Before you know it you're brewing, looking forward to the rewards of your efforts and wondering why you were hesitant at all. Sometimes we just need to push ourselves into having fun -- before we remember it is fun.

I never get tired of it. I used to hate bottling, now I keg so I'm drinking more than I should just to have a sooner opportunity to brew.

I brewed a lot in the first couple of years, then started slowing down. Now I am planning a move so I have too much work to do to allow brewing. I also don't want to have fermenting beer when the move comes so - no brewing.

I really want to brew!!!!

Yup. A few weeks ago I planned a brew, even built a starter...and blew it off for about 10 days. When I got around to it I enjoyed the brew day.

Brewing is like any other hobby - you have to want to do it to get any joy from it. Sometimes you just need a break from it. There are heaps of factors that prevent us from doing our hobbies. My excuse recently has been the constant rain we've been having the last month or so. I brew outside, too, so no brewing. I'm also a runner, so the weather put a damper on that hobby as well.

My motivating factor yesterday was the sun. I planned ahead; brewed in the morning and went for a 7km run afterwards. Planning ahead helped me get excited and into the day. Perfect day as far as I'm concerned.

I got lazy about it but finally went all grain a few batches ago. Now I got the fever. Guess it's more rewarding. And I also have a toddler instead of a baby now.

Know how you feel. I hadn't brewed in 2years! Was working on my shop to do my hobbies in left me doing no hobbies just work. Now that it's finished I just finished brewing my 6th batch in 2 months. Man I can't wait for my bullshivit king Russian imperial stout to get some age in the bottle! Yum!

I've been working 7 days a week, and will be for the next year or more. I don't have time to brew, but I love having the variety of a lot of different beers.
For now, my solution is to play around with all extract, 30 minute boil beers, blending different LME and trying some hops that are new to me. Now its not the same as all-grain, but its still fun to experiment and see what develops.

Thanks for all the encouragement, I do think I'm gonna brew tomorrow, if I don't forget... I want to, and I'm still drinking beer, just not my own. Yeah, I'm gonna brew tomorrow. I'll keep ya posted.

The sticker shock from buying a case of craft beer motivates me to brew.
When short of time I do shorter brew days: extract+grains or partial mash, 30-40 minute boil etc. When I partial mash I start the boil while still mashing and add the runnings as my late addition. I think I've had 2.5 hour brew days.

Well, the lilacs are blooming and I'm brew'n, actually just mashing at the moment but I'm gonna carry thru till it's fermenting.

IMG_7273.jpg

Looks like you've got a very nice brewing location :mug:

Brewing on my patio as that's the only space I have, no garage around here....
Not much of a breeze but my flame keeps going out. I had turned it down quite a bit because I have about 8.5 gallons boiling in a 10 gallon kettle. It seems to have settled down though so I've turned it back up a bit...

IMG_7278.jpg

Having to pay $20+ for a 12 pack of decent beer at the beer store is enough motivation for me. :ban:

Brewing on my patio as that's the only space I have, no garage around here....
Not much of a breeze but my flame keeps going out. I had turned it down quite a bit because I have about 8.5 gallons boiling in a 10 gallon kettle. It seems to have settled down though so I've turned it back up a bit...

I'm overstocked in brew right now and this pic is making me want to brew today!! Lol

Back