Most efficient no rush keg carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir_niveda

Reaction score
Heres the scoop, I have 5 gallons of pale ale that has been in primary for a little over two weeks. I want to keg it within the next few days, and want to know what the most efficient way to carbonate it within the next month is.

Also, this week I plan on brewing a red ale, and also fermenting it for ~2 weeks before kegging. (I know I should be taking FG samples, but I'm just going to take them at kegging and call it). So this brew is only going to spend about two weeks in the keg before consumption (They are both for New Years).

I have a two port manifold on one regulator on my CO2, my kegerator can only hold one corny (and the co2 tank) at a time. So whats the best/most efficient way for me to go about having these two ready at the same time?

I'd almost like to just naturally carb the first one in the keg with DME (unsure of amount), rather than leave it at room temp at high psi for three weeks. Then force carb the second brew at serving temp at appropriate psi. If its not quite ready the day or so before, then I'll shake it to get it there. I just don't want to spend the day before shaking and checking both kegs for proper carbonation.

When it comes time to serve, I can Have one in the kegerator and pre chill the other in a large bucket and switch them out once one kicks.

Didn't think about that aspect, makes total sense.

My goal is to have these two kegs carbonated, and ready to drink at the same time, even though their brew dates are ~2 weeks apart. I can't have both kegs at serving temp the whole time at the same time. I'm striving for as little consumption beforehand as possible.

So If I can use some on hand DME to naturally carb the first one, then cold force carb the second, how might I go about getting them to proper carbonation levels at the same time while maybe saving some CO2?

You can take the first keg out of the fridge after 2 wks and move the second one in, you'll just need to rechill keg #1 before the party. Or prime it if you want, it takes about 1/2 the sugar for a full keg as you would use bottling 5 gal.

You can take the first keg out of the fridge after 2 wks and move the second one in, you'll just need to rechill keg #1 before the party. Or prime it if you want, it takes about 1/2 the sugar for a full keg as you would use bottling 5 gal.

+2 Agree...:tank:

You can take the first keg out of the fridge after 2 wks and move the second one in, you'll just need to rechill keg #1 before the party.
I like the sound of that. Do I need to worry about the seal coming undone as it warms up, or is it literally like a big bottle (as long as I make sure the keg is leak free going into the kegerator)? I have fairly new o-rings (poppets are original) and clean and lube them regularly, also I seal my kegs by lifting them up by their lid/lock arm and purge O2 with CO2 via the liquid out post and the PRV.

I have a few lids that need pressure to seal, but as the keg warms the pressure will increase so you'll be good as long as there are no leaks to begin with.

Back