Most AIPA's = Columbus bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpertskir

Reaction score
I make a ton of hop forward beers and since I started brewing, purchase way less of them.

Well, went to a beer festival the other weekend(brewzilla) good times, and some nice beers, but it dawned on me....at least half and probably much more of the IPA's American breweries are making are straight up columbus bombs....

They may be using other hops, but not in the right proportions to actually taste them.

I like columbus(and yeah, they are cheap), but for my money there are far more interesting hops out there.

What gives? Is this purely a matter of economics(and availability), or are they all chasing the notoriety of some of the OG IPA and DIPAs(Pliny, Stone, ect)

BTW, I'm not talking about bittering additions

I went to Brewzilla at the Cleveland Beer Week and it seemed like everybody (maybe mostly the Ohio brewers?) were using crazy amounts of Citra. I don't mind it, but my buddy is decidedly in the "Citra = Cat Pee" camp and was not a fan.

Back