Mosaic/Vienna SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeSparrow

Reaction score
So I'm going for something simple for my first brew on my own setup in a couple weeks. Just wanted to get a solid recipe beforehand. I chose Mosaic because of all it's flavor aspects and I wanted a decent malty flavor to go with it so I settled on Vienna. I'm thinking an IPA will be best, around 50-60 IBUs and about 7 percent ABV.

As far as hop schedule goes I'm thinking a small FWH addition and 2-3 oz worth of late additions and 2-3 oz for dry hopping.

So along with coming up with a good hopping schedule I wanna know if this might be perceived as too sweet. I know Mosaic hops can have a perceived sweetness and of course paired with a malty base grain, I worry it might seem too sweet. So any advice on this or the recipe will be of great use! Most likely I'll be using Nottingham yeast.

Vienna is gonna make your beer really rich, but it will also make your hops shine. I was actually just reading an article on vienna and munich malts and they were saying that the vienna malt can be a good substitute for an English Pale malt and comes in about 3-5 deg Lovibond, so its not too far off from most pale malts. It just has the potential to finish sweeter. And I dont necessarily think that a sweetness in an IPA is a bad thing if its hopped right. I would just focus on getting your flavoring hops right. If you plan on doing the FWH like you said then I would drop the rest around the 5 min-flameout mark.

Id say go for it! Just make sure you get those hops right or youre looking at a syrup sticky mess haha. Good luck!

Thanks Kev. Glad to hear that Vienna is a good malt to work with. Also will probably stick to the 5 minutes and below, I'd like a fairly simple schedule so maybe FWH, additions at 5 and flameout and dry hopping. I'll post the recipe once it's brewed along with how it went.

No worries. Keep in mind, Ive never done a Vienna SMaSH so I cant speak to vienna by itself. Im just regurgitating what Ive read. But I have used it in some IPA's Ive brewed and they have come out quite nice.

I just did kind of a smash yesterday with Hull Melon hops and pale ale malt but did add some flaked wheat for some nice head retention. Did a FWH 10,5,0 hop addition its now bubbling away in my living room.

Back