Mosaic pale ale grain bill thoughts.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
I got 3 oz of mosaic hops and I'm looking for some ideas for the grain bill for an easy drinking 5% pale ale.
Never used mosaic before but heard they are good.

Thanks in advance.

mosaic is a soft, fruity hop.

to keep things simple, id suggest a grain bill of 94% 2 row and 6% crystal 40 or 60. mosaic is hop that does really well with medium crystal malt.

for 6 gallons post boil @ 75% efficiency (easy 5 gallons in the keg or bottle) go with:

11lbs 2 row (replace with 7lbs DME for extract)
.75 lbs C60
2.5oz of aroma hops @ 0 (steep for 20 minutes)
2.5oz of aroma hops for dry hops

to step the game up even more - pair that mosaic with something citrusy like citra, amarillo or centennial. or all of those if you have them.

us-05 is always a classic APA yeast, but you could us s-04 or wyeast 1968 if you want a softer, maltier brew.

good luck!

Thanks for the help. I will give it a go soon. I think I will just stick the mosaic (and a bittering hop).

Made this 5.5-gallon A/G batch of mosaic SMaSH and loved it (very simple and clean citrus kick from mosaic):

11 pounds of 2 row pale malt
.5 ounces of Mosaic hops – 60 mins
.5 ounces of Mosaic hops – 15 mins
.5 ounces of Mosaic hops – 0 mins
.5 ounces of Mosaic hops – Dry hopped in secondary fermentor
Irish Moss
Y east: WLP001 California Ale yeast
Instructions:
Mash malt at 150° F for 60 minutes. Sparge until 6.5 gallons of wort are collected. Add hops into the boil when indicated in the ingredient list. Save a half ounce to add to a secondary fermentor after primary fermentation is over. Add irish moss with 15 minutes left to go in the boil. At the end of the boil, chill to fermentation temperatures. Rack to your fermentor and aerate the wort well. Pitch your yeast and ferment at 68° F for two weeks. After the fermentation is over, rack to a clean and sanitized carboy for dry hopping. Add the leftover hops to the carboy and let it condition for 4 days. Once the secondary is over, bottle or keg as usual.

For the bittering addition id go with CTZ at 60 then back load the crap out of it with the mosaic. Probably add an ounce at 5 and an ounce at flame out. Depending on how much fruity flavors you want coming through. Then of course dry hop with the same amount. I'm just telling what works for me. Hope it turns out great!

Made this 5.5-gallon A/G batch of mosaic SMaSH and loved it (very simple and clean citrus kick from mosaic):

11 pounds of 2 row pale malt
.5 ounces of Mosaic hops – 60 mins
.5 ounces of Mosaic hops – 15 mins
.5 ounces of Mosaic hops – 0 mins
.5 ounces of Mosaic hops – Dry hopped in secondary fermentor
Irish Moss
Y east: WLP001 California Ale

Funny, I just did something similar with Mosaic but with a 60, 30, and 2 min addition, no dry-hopping, and WLP060 American Ale Blend. I agree. Really simple and clean and a really nice grapefruit taste in my opinion. Might be my new favorite hop!

Back