Mosaic IPA Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennie1986

Reaction score
I got some mosaic hops and wanted to do an ipa with them. I want to be able to harvest the yeast and keep the abv down a little so I want to keep the og 1.054. Please tell me what you think of the recipe I came up with, thanks!

5 Gallon Batch

9.4lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 86.0 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) 9.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) 4.7 %

mash 148f for 75min

1.00 oz Mosaic [11.50 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop 38.5 IBUs
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)
1.00 oz Mosaic [11.50 %] - Boil 10.0 m Hop 14.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic [11.50 %] - Boil 5.0 mi Hop 7.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic [11.50 %] - Boil 0.0 mi Hop 0.0 IBUs

Hop stand for 20 min

Pitch 1332

OG 1.054
60 IBU
5.8 SRM
5.8 EST. ABV

I just made a Mosaic IPA that turned out great. My malt bill was very similar to yours except that I used Carapils instead of Vienna.

My hop bill was;
1oz at 75 minutes
.75oz at 30 minutes
1oz at flame out
2oz dry hop for 4 days.

Brewing this in the morning and I'm a little worried about 60 ibu's being over powering in an OG of 1.054 with a light body. Anyone have last min words of comfort?

Google:

Yeast Harvesting: A Novel Approach?

As for the recipe... get 21-30 IBU from your 60 min addition, add everything else (except dry hop) at 20 min and lower.

Brulosopher said:
Google:

Yeast Harvesting: A Novel Approach?

As for the recipe... get 21-30 IBU from your 60 min addition, add everything else (except dry hop) at 20 min and lower.

Thanks, I moved .5oz from 60min and split it between the 10 and 5 min additions to get 46ibu's.

For your 60 minute addition, use something else, such as Magnum or Warrior, and use that ounce of Mosaic for a one-week dry hop instead.

To late! Lol! My 60 min turned into a 50 by mistake because I added the 10min addition at 20min an the 5 at 15 so I killed the boil 10 min early.

To late! Lol! My 60 min turned into a 50 by mistake because I added the 10min addition at 20min an the 5 at 15 so I killed the boil 10 min early.

How did this turn out? I'm planning on a single hop mosaic IPA for next weekend and I'm a little concerned about using it for the bittering addition. I was toying with Warrior at 60/FWH and all mosaic for flavor/aroma/dry-hop.

How did this turn out? I'm planning on a single hop mosaic IPA for next weekend and I'm a little concerned about using it for the bittering addition. I was toying with Warrior at 60/FWH and all mosaic for flavor/aroma/dry-hop.

A friend of mine and I brewed an IPA using a belgian yeast and we used Apollo (similar neutral qualities to Warrior) for the bittering addition. It turned out great.

We did use a blend of Chinook and Mosaic for the flavor/aroma/dry hop additions though, simply to temper the fruitiness a bit.

just buy a 1# bag of DME and grow your vial/smack pack out. pitch half and save the rest for farming.

I didn't put down any notes on this beer and if I remember correctly I didn't because I got real sick and all I could taste was nasty bitterness in every beer I drank be it homebrew or commercial.

Latest posts

Back