Morels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just got another 14" of snow so it will be awhile yet for us - thankfully we're not in Valdez, they just got another 53" of snow.

Last year was real warm this time of year so we had a early start on the morels. This year it is looking more end of April instead. We are still dealing with pretty hard frozen ground. :(

Can't wait to get out there and scavenge a few pounds myself. Just used the last of my dehydrated ones from the freezer.

Here I was fully prepared to make some crack about mushrooms thinking the OP was intending to write morals..... damnit!

I'll pass on the mountain oysters.
But, add some ramps to the fold and I'm happy.
Tis the season.

Avid collector here, and not just morels. There are a handful of species of wild edibles that will keep you eating mushrooms from April to November if you know what to look for. With all the moisture we've gotten here in the past few weeks, I'm looking forward to a good year of collecting.

Happy hunting!

My Wife and I are extremely active foragers/mushroom hunters. Our favorites in order are Morels, Shaggy Manes, Boletes, Puffballs and then Oyster 'shrooms, there are others but not as frequently found.

Went Clamming down on the Kenai Penninsula, found some Morels, fresh Fiddlehead Ferns and buckets of Razor clams. Prepared it all several different ways - some of the best eating you'll ever have! :mug:

Yes there all shrooms for all seasons. I like chantrelles for summertime and hen of the woods is great for fall. Taste just like chicken.

Common morels......coming to central Illinois by my estimates....April 20.

Back