More beer false bottom and bad eff.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickflip_mj

Reaction score
My efficiency is horrible, takes 2 hours to reach target mash gravity! I think its due to mash compaction in my 25 gallon megapot. Currently I have to run 2qts per lb, but I would like to use less. I also think the false bottom is way to high above the mash. its something like 3 inches from the bottom. Do you think that is way to much dead space?

The false bottom should have no effect on conversion. I would look at the crush and pH.

mash ph is 5.6 on last batch (higher because of the 2qts/lb) and I crush at the Morebeercom warehouse. If you don't think that's the case, the I probably need to work on my water profile. currently use RO water.

If you are using nothing but straight RO, you are likely severely lacking in Ca. Calcium is quite important to the enzymatic activity in the mash.

Your mash efficiency target might be a bit too idealistic for your system. If you end up not being able to improve it, you can just lower the expected mash efficiency of your system to whatever you can consistently reach in an hour (in other words, end up using a bit more grain). An extra hour of mashing is probably not worth the few oz of grain we're talking about. Especially because during that 2nd hour, your gravity is probably only just barely creeping up.

If you really think you should be getting better mash efficiencies, I'd look at your crush first, then, at your thermometer and/or refractometer, they might be reading incorrectly.

If you are using nothing but straight RO, you are likely severely lacking in Ca. Calcium is quite important to the enzymatic activity in the mash.

Somthing I know is lacking, yet I am moving in a month, so I will wait to test my new water to generate a baseline.

Your mash efficiency target might be a bit too idealistic for your system. If you end up not being able to improve it, you can just lower the expected mash efficiency of your system to whatever you can consistently reach in an hour (in other words, end up using a bit more grain). An extra hour of mashing is probably not worth the few oz of grain we're talking about. Especially because during that 2nd hour, your gravity is probably only just barely creeping up.

If you really think you should be getting better mash efficiencies, I'd look at your crush first, then, at your thermometer and/or refractometer, they might be reading incorrectly.

Sadly I already compensated slightly in the grain department :D, mashing an extra hour is garbage in my opinion.

I wonder if Morebeers mill is over used and hasnt been calibrated in a while? I checked my temps last brew digitally and manually, also my refractometer is working properly too. Double checked with my hydrometer.

Do you not think grain compaction could cause low efficiency?

I wouldn't really expect any kind of grain bed compaction scenario that would impact efficiency in any typical setup, but it really might be one of those things where if I saw it with my own eyes I'd think oh ya that could be a problem. Certainly, a super thick mash ratio can lower the mobility of enzymes and tank the efficiency, so theoretically it kinda makes sense. But you mash at 2qt/lb so I'm having trouble visualizing what would be compacting your grains on your setup.

Mash pH - I could see that MAYBE coming into play here with RO water and pale grain bills, but I wouldn't expect that to throw efficiences off more than maybe about 5% at most.

Given that your measurement tools are good to go, I'd still suspect the crush or even the quality of grains before this other stuff. If the grains are not consistently crushed into several pieces with most husks still intact, then the crush is less than ideal.

If you really suspect compaction, you could try stirring the mash every 10 minutes. I give mine a stir once at 15 min in, just for kicks.

I could also see maybe a serious temperature gradient coming into play from the bottom to top of your mash, depending on your heating practices. Just spit balling that one.

Back