Monitoring Temperature..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwing_al

http://www.homebrewmania.com/
Reaction score
I'm looking for a long thermometer for a BIAB kettle that is 16" tall.

Would you recommend one that is long that I can insert through the top, a floating thermometer I can add to the mash or a digital thermometer that I can insert a probe?

I realize that there are differences in cost, but which one do others use that is effective? Feel free to post links or share specific model numbers.

thanks! :mug:

I would recommend a simple hand held stick thermometer. Bobby M sells a CDN model for less than 20 bucks. IMHO checking the temp periodically with a digital handheld is all you really need.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

I've got to agree with Wilserbrewer on this one. The CDN that Bobby sells is fantastic. I've also got the various Taylor and CDN digitals with probe and their advantage is being able to fire an alarm when mash temp exceeds a particular temp. But, they are slow. Bobby sells the DTQ-450X (which is also available on Amazon Prime):

http://brewhardware.com/measurement-devices/thermometers-71/76-cdn-digital-thermometer

This has very accurate and fast measurement. The Thermapen is great, but is 4X the price and I don't think it's worth it, particularly given the chance for dropping this into hot wort. I STRONGLY recommend getting one of his thermowells to go with this. I had some serious mash temp overshoots with the method of measuring temps at the top of the kettle. I now have a thermowell built into an inline fitting that attaches to the end of my ball valve and can get very accurate temps while recirculating the mash. However, you can add the thermowell into your kettle, which merely requires a hole be drilled toward the bottom. Due to its speed and accuracy, this will definitely improve your mash results.

Thanks Wilserbrewer. I just ordered one of your bags (grand slam) last night. cant wait to fill it full'a grain!

I use a thermapen for accuracy, and the readout on my STC-1000 for continuous monitoring. I just run the wire under the edge of the lid. I also covered the wire and half the probe with food safe heat shrink tubing. An STC-1000 can be had for like $15 on ebay. The heat shrink tubing and a lamp chord will set you back another $5 bucks.

The thermapen is spendy, but if you cook at all it is totally worth it. My grilling has gone up 3 notches since I bought it.

Another fan of the CDN here. You can also find it on Amazon Prime. I've dropped one in hot wort and it survived. I had another one die on me for no apparent reason and it manufacturer replaced it under warrantee.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm having a very hard time deciding what thermometer to get as well. I'm torn between a probe that I can leave in the mash and one like the thermapen. I'm just worried that the surface temp is going to be a lot different from the middle of the mash and the thermapen would make me overshoot my temp.

I'm having a very hard time deciding what thermometer to get as well. I'm torn between a probe that I can leave in the mash and one like the thermapen. I'm just worried that the surface temp is going to be a lot different from the middle of the mash and the thermapen would make me overshoot my temp.

Just give it a quick stir. The thermapen is about 4-5 inches long and will get a quick accurate reading.

As said above, if you are going to open the kettle to take a temp reading always best to stir it up for an accurate reading.

After a few batches, you will get a feel for the temp and how much your kettle will lose...IMO no need to have a probe to continuously monitor the temp and "worry". A simple hand held to spot check is all you need.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Okay, thanks for the replies. I'm definitely still a worrier, I've only done 5 batches so far and this will be my first AG.

I got a Thermoworks MTC handheld with a remote probe. That way I can monitor the temp without lifting the lid during the mash. My mash paddle also inserts through the lid so I can stir before taking a reading. The MTC is nice too because you can buy other probes, for other uses, like BBQ'ing!

Latest posts

Back