Mold!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCougfan97

Reaction score
So I bought a freezer and made it into a fermentation chamber. My first brew to enter the chamber had a fermentation overflow. I changed the airlock out for a blow off tube and wipe out of the beer/wort that flowed out. A week later I added another brew to the chamber. Now another week later I go to remove the first batch and there is mold EVERYWHERE. The bucket of Star-sans has a solid layer of floating mold, the walls and floor of the freezer have mold along with the sides of both carboys.

I don't see any mold inside the carboys but have not been able to verify.

Are both batches likely ruined?
Should I clean every speck of mold off everything before I attempt to transfer anything from the carboys?

Airlocks are designed to keep contaminates out of the carboy, so I wouldn't assume the batch is ruined. Clean and sanitize everything before opening the fermenter. I'd also move the carboys to a completely different area before opening because the mold is likely in the air as well .

Latest posts

Back