Mold or Kahm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kickass

Reaction score
After cramming the chilis into the jar I realized I was a little short on brine. I was lazy and thought, whatever it’ll be fine. It wasn’t. Is this mold or kahm?
F2271F27-9A38-4E5F-8D1E-E546B44D3096.jpeg
B17F8AE7-878F-477F-ADF2-6E35C2ECA4BD.jpeg
89B7D38A-3FB1-4F20-A7A5-A051F0A01A8B.jpeg

It doesn't really look like mold- but hard to say. Scrape all that off, and make sure that any food is under the brine (use a plastic bag with water in it to hold it down if you have to) and see what happens.

Smell it, the mold will smell earthy and the kahm will smell yeasty(taste yeasty funk) After scraping ,wipe with a vinegar moistened paper towel.
I don't know why but my pepper ferments are the only ones that get kahm. Yoop, it even forms on the bag of water,WTF. I clean it off( toss the grape leaf), it comes back one more time ,then it's packaged and refrigerated, no more kahm even after a year.

It's like the little bit of frass you see in organic brussel sprouts, don't tell anyone and they'll never know!

Latest posts

Back