Mold in Brew Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue_Atom87

Reaction score
Pulled out kettle this morning and noticed what appears to be mold on thermo port. I tried to remove as much of teflon tape as possible but some still remains. Kettle is aluminum turkey fryer pot. Any ideas what it is and will it affect brew?

62C34578-6DE6-4974-8BEF-623D8E156F0F.jpeg

I would remove the bulkhead and scrape out the threads with a toothpick or sewing needle. Then wash everything by hand and reassemble. I would also give the pot a good soak with Oxiclean and hot water once it's back together.

Cleaned best I could and went about brew day. Once done I removed thermo and there was a gelatin like substance on inside of bulkhead. Scrubbed it out really well. Removed ss valve to clean as well. Kept bulkhead attached to kettles

Sounds like you got it handled. I would suggest using a small brass or stainless steel on those threads next time along with the cleaner of your choice. Something like this:

Assorted Mini Wire Brushes (3-Pack)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/309996616

Back