Moktoberfest Ester Bomb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monmouth00

Reaction score
Messing around with a Moktoberfest beer, and the Safale K-97 took off on me. I’m afraid I’m going to have an ester bomb on my hands.
Started with 5.5# of Munich Light, 5.5# Pilsner, and 1.25# of Caramunich. Did 60’ steep at 152deg, and another 30’ at 156. Hopped with a half ounce of Hellertauer Mitt and Tettnang at 60’, and another dose at 30’.
The two packets of Safale K-97 went into the fermenter at about 68deg.
The fermenter was placed in my downstairs bathroom with an ambient temp of about 66deg, on the tile which usually works as a pretty good heat sink. Not this time.
As you can see, the temp has spiked above 76deg, and the fermentation is raging. I don’t really have a way to cool this batch down.
Is this thing going to be drinkable?
Or am I going to have my first dumped batch after 7 years of brewing?
This has never happened before. I’ve never used the K-97 before- does it always go crazy like this? Can it sustain these temps without horrible off-flavors?
Thanks for your thoughts.

Attachments

• 3434C4F6-4598-4B25-A244-175CCBEED80C.jpeg
    3434C4F6-4598-4B25-A244-175CCBEED80C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • D5314316-2CE9-44EB-A9F1-06315D38C421.jpeg
    D5314316-2CE9-44EB-A9F1-06315D38C421.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
I’ve only used K97 once and it took off like a damn rocket. A little confused as to why you used 2 packets?

Your #s don’t seem like they would have generated a high OG.

And it looks like you’re right on the edge of the 25 degrees Celsius upper preferred temp for that yeast. I suspect you’ll be okay and the spike in temp that you’re seeing is a byproduct of your yeast busy at work.

I’ve only used K97 once and it took off like a damn rocket. A little confused as to why you used 2 packets?

Your #s don’t seem like they would have generated a high OG.

And it looks like you’re right on the edge of the 25 degrees Celsius upper preferred temp for that yeast. I suspect you’ll be okay and the spike in temp that you’re seeing is a byproduct of your yeast busy at work.

I always use two packets. I have no idea why. Habit maybe?

From what I'm reading, the fermentation temperature range upper limit for the K-97 is about 68 degrees. I'm obviously 8+ degrees above that, but the temp dropped to about 74 as of this morning.

Still, I'm thinking this one is going to have some really off flavors. Am I in the fruit flavor range, or is it going to taste like disinfectant?

Thanks,

Monmouth00

I always use two packets. I have no idea why. Habit maybe?

From what I'm reading, the fermentation temperature range upper limit for the K-97 is about 68 degrees. I'm obviously 8+ degrees above that, but the temp dropped to about 74 as of this morning.

Still, I'm thinking this one is going to have some really off flavors. Am I in the fruit flavor range, or is it going to taste like disinfectant?

Thanks,

Monmouth00

Right, 68 is the upper of that ideal range, but it is tolerant up to 77 at least according to here.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/safale-k97-german-ale-yeast-fermentis.html
As far as projecting that you’ll need to dump it, I’d say let it ride. I think by overpitching (which I’m fairly certain you have) and the higher temp, the yeast count is so high and they’re working so hard that the end result might be a lack of esters?

Back