Modifying a corny kegs out post.... help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PissyFingers

Reaction score
Hi all i wont to add a ball valve to my liquid out post as per the drawing attached, anyone know where i can get all the fittings i need?

Cheers,

Harley.

KEG MOD.jpg

im not too sure if people have done this , however there is a good read on how to build a spunding valve which im sure you could find helpful with ideas. its possible you could build it after the ball lock post so it could be interchangeable without modifying the actual keg. Here is the article i am referring to , good luck with the build!

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2011/02/build-spunding-valve.html

This is for racking my heavily hopped IPA's with a closed system to my keg, i have a modified liquid post which has a SS piece of 3/8 pipe welded to it, i don't run through the keg connector as i find it restrict the flow and the poppet clogs to easy with hop debri.

This way i can use my modded liquid post filled the keg, closed the ball valve,unscrew my modded post and screw on the regular post, open up the ball valve and put it on gas. No oxygen getting into the beer.

If I'm getting this right, the OP took a standard Out post, removed the poppet, and welded a chunk of 3/8" SS tubing to the top of it so he could run wide bore tubing when doing transfers, and avoid clogging the post and/or a disconnect.

The threaded portion (apparently) wasn't altered, so it threads on like any other post. Seems he could simply latch the pressure release valve open after filling the keg while he removes the modded post and installs an unmodded post.

It's not like the keg is going to suck in a big gulp of air through the PRV after being filled with "uncarbonated" beer, as unless one heats post-fermented beer to a ridiculous temperature there's always going to be some CO2 content. Give the keg a rock or two and the pressure inside the keg will be higher than outside...

Cheers!

If I'm getting this right, the OP took a standard Out post, removed the poppet, and welded a chunk of 3/8" SS tubing to the top of it so he could run wide bore tubing when doing transfers, and avoid clogging the post and/or a disconnect.

The threaded portion (apparently) wasn't altered, so it threads on like any other post. Seems he could simply latch the pressure release valve open after filling the keg while he removes the modded post and installs an unmodded post.

It's not like the keg is going to suck in a big gulp of air through the PRV after being filled with "uncarbonated" beer, as unless one heats post-fermented beer to a ridiculous temperature there's always going to be some CO2 content. Give the keg a rock or two and the pressure inside the keg will be higher than outside...

Cheers!

You got the modded post 100% correct, by doing it this way it would just make my process more fluid. The ball valve would stay on the whole time the beer is on tap, just adding the unmodded post to it after ive finished tranferring. So maybe im just being a little to OCD :D

Cheers for the replies guys!

Ok, if you're bound and determined, it's actually a tiny bit simpler than your drawing.

Start with an adapter that matches your keg's Out riser threads and ends in a 1/4" MPT. You can find those adapters here, just find the one that matches your keg.

To that adapter, add a 1/4" ball valve with both sides FPT.
Then you need the other gender post adapter - 1/4" MPT to your keg's riser threads to match the two posts. You can find those on the same chicompany.net page as above.

So, two adapters and the ball valve ought to do it...

Cheers!

Ok, if you're bound and determined, it's actually a tiny bit simpler than your drawing.

Start with an adapter that matches your keg's Out riser threads and ends in a 1/4" MPT. You can find those adapters here, just find the one that matches your keg.

To that adapter, add a 1/4" ball valve with both sides FPT.
Then you need the other gender post adapter - 1/4" MPT to your keg's riser threads to match the two posts. You can find those on the same chicompany.net page as above.

So, two adapters and the ball valve ought to do it...

Cheers!

CHEERS, thanks for the links Day Tripper!

Latest posts

Back