Modifications to current kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCBrewster

Reaction score
I have a 7.5 gallon stainless steel pot that I got for a gift around Christmas. I want to add a spout and a thermometer to it. Is this tough and or expensive?

not tough if you have a step bit, could get expensive depending on what kind of thermo and valve you decide to install. there are a good deal of weldless kits available from online vendors. the step bits are fairly expensive, but could come in handy down the road. good luck

I've cut kettles with hole saws and step bits. Both worked pretty well the downside to the step bit is you need to make sure that you don't go too far, fortunately I Do not know that from experience. The "kettle valve" is a great deal but if you want something a little nicer and more durable check out what bobby at brewhardware.com has.

What about a thermometer that you don't drill a hole in the pot. Seems like the risk to mess up the pot by drilling it wouldn't be worth it. Anyone use like a thermometer with a probe to sit inside the pot or something like that?

I use a thermocouple dangled in the pot in the HLT and MLT. I plan to replace my blichmann brewmometer in my boilermaker with and thermocouple probe that extends down because doing 5 gallon batches in the 15 gallon boilermaker leaves the thermo above the wort while I am batch chilling.

And you submerge the wire and the thermocouple in the pot? And that is wired to a thermometer? Where'd you buy your stuff?

i use a thermapen, but its basically just to calibrate my dial thermo's on my kettles. thermapen is a pretty neat toy though...

And you submerge the wire and the thermocouple in the pot? And that is wired to a thermometer? Where'd you buy your stuff?

yes just drop it in the pot. I use a Fieldpiece Temperature Meter Model ST4 that I got from my local HVAC supply house. It came with two wire thermocouples rated to 600 degrees. It displays temp from one of two inputs or input 1 minus input 2. I dont remember what it cost technically its for HVAC work and i wrote it off as a business expense.

Latest posts

Back