MLT size vs Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardless

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a SS brewtech 20gal InfuSSion Mash Tun for doing 10 gal batches. Wasn’t really doing many “trial” recipes before buying. Now I have some trials I would like at 5 gal and am wondering if the MLT is too big for a 5 gal batch. Anyone use the 20gal for 5 gallon batches. Diameter is 19.75” per their website.

My guess is I will be fine for most recipes, with maybe some additional heat loss; but I do HERMS so I’m not very worried about that. I can always use my igloo cooler if necessary, but love the clarity with the infussion.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question. I was wondering though, when you say that you love the clarity from the infussion, does that mean that you have better clarity because you are recirculating on it and not the igloo, or is there something else? Thanks.

The recirculation with the HERMS definitely makes for clear wort, which is obvious to me during my transfer to the BK. Not necessarily the infussion specifically, but I would’ve never even attempted HERMS with the false bottom on my cooler.

Edited for clarity.

Back