Mixing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
Going to be brewing a surley furious IPA which I ordered white labs wlp-0700. I have had issues with pitching and am trying to make sure I get a good fermentation. Can I use the white labs and also safale S04 together?? Or will that alter the beer?

The flavor of the finished beer will be a bit different with a mixed strain depending on the characteristics/ratios/behavior of the individual strains, but as long as the pitching rate is good and you control the temps it should still work out. Those are both English strains and are similar in profile. A starter is also a valid option for the 007.

When using liquid yeasts always make a starter! The pack of yeast you bought (WLP007) most likely doesn't have enough viable cells for a healthy fermentation at that gravity and size.

Although I like WLP007 (or WY1098), I don't care for the flavor S-04 gives me, even if they are supposed to be similar strains.

When using liquid yeasts always make a starter! The pack of yeast you bought (WLP007) most likely doesn't have enough viable cells for a healthy fermentation at that gravity and size.

Although I like WLP007 (or WY1098), I don't care for the flavor S-04 gives me, even if they are supposed to be similar strains.

Can you tell me what amounts of what to get a good size starter for this brew?

Can you tell me what amounts of what to get a good size starter for this brew?

IPA gravity is at least 1.056, yours likely a bit higher when you call it "Surley Furious."

Your WL Pure Pitch pack has a manufacturing date on it. Use a yeast calculator to see how many cells you need.

I always make a 2 liter starter and reserve some for the next batch (yeast ranching).

So I made 2 starters in 3 days. Both with 2 cups water to 1/2 cup dme and pitched the yeast at 68 degrees and put on stir plate for 18hrs or so. Cold crashed and repeated the night before I. Reward but didn't cold crash as I would be pitching the same day. Pitched it in the fermenter at 67 degrees. I looked at the airlock today and after two days in there I'm seeing about 2 bubbles every 5 sec. I thought for sure it would have taken off with doibg the two starters and now am very worried because I have had a problem with a "sweet" type off flavor and my lbs said to try to pitch more yeast to get a better more vigorous fermentation to rule that out. I do have a dry safale us-04 which says is dry version somewhat of the WLP-007. Should I pitch the dry us-04 to make sure I'm getting a good fermentation or no??
Any help would be appreciated as always

2 bubbles every 5 seconds is fine.

Also, air lock activity is not a good indication of fermentation.

what temperature is it at.

I personally would leave it.

So I made 2 starters in 3 days. Both with 2 cups water to 1/2 cup dme and pitched the yeast at 68 degrees and put on stir plate for 18hrs or so. Cold crashed...

Making one 2 liter starter is very different from doing two separate 1-pint (2 cups) starters you just did. Read up on how yeast starters work. But you will have had yeast growth. Good!

... and repeated the night before I. Reward but didn't cold crash as I would be pitching the same day.

This may have given you some extra yeast growth, but chances are your yeast density in 2 cups of wort is kinda maxed out; it's a very small volume. Perhaps we can consider this a vitality starter. ;) Nothing wrong here.

Pitched it in the fermenter at 67 degrees. I looked at the airlock today and after two days in there I'm seeing about 2 bubbles every 5 sec. I thought for sure it would have taken off with doibg the two starters and now am very worried because I have had a problem with a "sweet" type off flavor

Hooray, it's fermenting! Slow and steady is GOOD! Keep it at 67F for at least 2-3 days. When it slows, let it go 5°F higher (place in a warmer area).

Stop taking samples until it's done, 1-2 weeks from now.

and my lbs said to try to pitch more yeast to get a better more vigorous fermentation to rule that out. I do have a dry safale us-04 which says is dry version somewhat of the WLP-007. Should I pitch the dry us-04 to make sure I'm getting a good fermentation or no??
Any help would be appreciated as always

Simply ignore what your LHBS said. He's clueless here.
It's fermenting, you do not need to pitch any more yeast. Let your beer be.

Thanks all. The ferm fridge temp is set to 65 and the OG was 1.060.

Latest posts

Back