Mixing Yeast Types - HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkeller12

Reaction score
So I just realized that I am short one package of yeast for my pumpkin ale that I was starting to brew today. The estimated OG per Beersmith is 1.065 for my pumpkin ale that I was going to do and it calls for two packages of US-05 of which I have one. I do however have a package of Muntons Active Ale Yeast with an expiration of 5/2015 available. Does anybody see the harm in re-hydrating them both and pitching the two strains of yeast? I have never used Muntons before and don't know much about it, nor have I pitched to different yeast types in one batch.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

You could whip up a starter for the US-05 to double the cell count if you have any malt lying around. Otherwise those are both pretty general yeasts so I don't see a real issue combining them, others may disagree.

If it's a 5-6 gallon batch 1 pack of rehydrated dry yeast is ample.

If you want to make a starter with a dry pack given the starting cell count you'll need about a 4L starter to get any appreciable growth. Pass on that one.

If it's a 10gallon batch you could make a good case for two packs of dry yeast. Order an unexpired pack online or from LHBS. Personally I'd pass on expired ingredients in my beer.

Since I am brewing this today, I am thinking a starter wouldn't really have enough time to get going, I may be wrong.

This is only a 5 gallon batch (5.25 gallons into the fermenter) and Mr. Malty says I would need 1.1 packages of US-05 to get what I need.

Would it be better to pitch just the US-05 or may add a little of the muntons to the US-05 to hopefully have a little more yeast available for the job? What do you think?

Would it be better to pitch just the US-05 or may add a little of the muntons to the US-05 to hopefully have a little more yeast available for the job? What do you think?

No. 1 pack rehydrated S-05 is fine. Your making it needlessly complicated for yourself.

I directly pitched the US-05 into my 1.062 pumpkin ale that I brewed just four days ago. My advice: Don't worry about it. Fermentation respiration went steadily for 2 1/2 days.

Back