Mixing with whiskey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewhemoth

Reaction score
Hey all,

Trying to add some flavor complexity to a big boy beer (1.076OG - 1.019FG). The idea is to add chocolate (nibs) vanilla bean and some coffee grounds.
intention is to soak ingredients in whiskey

Question1
I know vanilla bean and cacao nibs will work well, but should i do the coffee in the same mix or separate cold steep?

Question2
any advice on approach with Vanilla/cacao/whiskey? it will be bourbon so i'm planning on going easy on additional vanilla. Any advice on min/max amounbt of whiskey to 'dilute' with and proportions of bean and nibs to whiskey without making the beer boozy would be awesome

When adding a combination of ingredients in secondary, I would split it into small batches, do different variations, and bottle.

Then, over time, compare how they evolve.

Great advice, and certainly the right approach. That will teach me to try something new for a beer that needs to be ready/ right the first time :)

Anyone with experience on whiskey volumes to add to. 5G batch? Even novel Bits of info appreciated

been a while since i have been one. here is what i learnt:

Measured Original Gravity: 1.076 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.1 %
IBU: 41.6 (WAY TOO LOW!)

after fermentation:
(01.04.2015)
added 50grams fresh cacao nibs to
100ml Wild Turkey bourbon whiskey
set in fridge

(03.04.2015)
added 35 more grams of cacao nibs
-total = 85 grams
added 2/3 of a vanilla bean for last 12 hours of soak

we blended whiskey/cacao/vanilla mix gradually into bottling bucket and kept tasting.
although we stirred and mixed well, i suspect there was some stratification because taste went up and down. in the end, we mixed the whole lot into the 22L of beer. It ended up being VERY forward. Whiskey is not necessarily that prominent, but the cacao and vanilla bursts on the pallet and in the nose. Because the BU:GU ration was 0.45, and so much sweetness comes from cacao and vanilla, the beer ended up very sweet and cloying. The cold brewed coffee was very floral and also contributed a bit to the cacao sweetness i think.

next time we will try the same amount of cacao/vanilla/whiskey, but probably only mix in half of the product at bottling. I would also consider pushing the bittering addition significantly to bring it to about 0.8 - 0.9 on such a thick, creamy bastard of a beer.

st Original Gravity: 1.092 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.025 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.0 %
Bitterness: 41.6 IBUs
Est Color: 21.9 EBC

Back