Mixing Lambic Blend with Roselare??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Hello,

yesterday I brewed up 15 Gallons of raspberry/date lambic brown ale. I accidentally bought two different lambic yeasts: Wyeast Lambic Blend and Wyeast Roselare

For primary fermentation, the batch was split in half, so 7.5 gallons was inocculated with Lambic, the other half with Roselare.

For secondary fermentation, I had been planning on aging in three 5 gallon carboys. Is it acceptable to make a 50/50 blend of the lambic/roselare blend with the extra 2.5 gallons of either yeast blend???

Thanks,

Delaney

Sure, why not. It might not be traditionally the route taken but I think sours are a bit about experimenting. It will be interesting to see how the straight lambic tastes compared to the Roselare compared to the blend. I say go for it! Yeast experiments are always fun.

Cool, I figured it would be fine with the yeast, it was the bacteria I was unsure of in terms of blending.

Thanks,

Delaney

Well, I will say that I'm no expert. I only have three sours going and have yet to bottle one but if I were in your situation I would go for it. It may not end up traditional or "to style" but I can't imagine it will be bad.

Based on Wyeast descriptions, they are pretty much the same (Belgian yeast + Sherry yeast + Two Brett strains + Lacto + Pedio). Might have a different primary yeast, and different Brett strains, but essentially the same.

Mix them. It will still be a decent beer. Maybe more complex than the other two. There is absolutely nothing wrong with mixing the two.

Latest posts

Back