mixing dry yeasts for a hybrid solution??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpops

Reaction score
hey guys!

i desperately want to brew a cream ale this weekend, but my LHBS doesnt have any wlp080 :(

Has anyone tried mixing an ale and a lager yeast - say a S05 and an S23 - to achieve a hybrid yeast/fermentation that cream ale's call for??

let me know your thoughts! i'm trying to avoid having a dumper on my hands....

thanks!

When I did my cream ale, I just used a really neutral ale yeast at the bottom of its temp range. The beer came out nice and clean...

Isn't it Kolsh that uses a hybrid yeast for its fermentation? Could be cream ale too but I don't remember seeing that anywhere...

I've had good results using Wyeast 2112, their California Lager yeast, for a California Common, a Pilsner SMaSH, and an IPA.

I know it's not what you asked for, but it's a hybrid of sorts, and works down to 58° F according to the Wyeast site.

thanks guys!

i actually got a hold of someone at the LHBS (online place - OBK) and asked if there was a chance their inventory was incorrect - low and behold, they DID have some and i can make my orderr :)

lesson learned - it never hurts to ask!

Back