mixing ale yeasts to create a lager type brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am wondering if there are any ale type yeasts that I could combine to make a light, lager type beer. I am asking because I have heard of this. Some people do this, but I just don't know if it is any good.

mixing strains isn't going to get you any closer. a kolsch strain or sf lager will get you fairly close if you ferment on the cold side

mixing strains isn't going to get you any closer. a kolsch strain or sf lager will get you fairly close if you ferment on the cold side

that is the thing: I wanna ferment on the warm side. 66F

i would go with kolsch or use a lager yeast then (steam beer), you're going to get esters that warm tho. any reason against using a swamp cooler to ferment colder?

I just did a Maibock with WLP060 that turned out fairly lager-like, but it fermented in the low 60s.

sure the Kölsch or SF Lager yeast will be even more like a lager, like DCP27 said, but colder would be better to get what you want

Nottingham fermented cool (58-60) will make a pretty clean beer. I just used it in a smash with pilsner and magnum, and it turned out very lager like.

Nottingham fermented cool (58-60) will make a pretty clean beer. I just used it in a smash with pilsner and magnum, and it turned out very lager like.

+1 on Notty fermented cool. You can take it down as low as 55*F (I have) and it still ferments nicely. Treat it to a d-rest at the finish and you're good to go.

that is the thing: I wanna ferment on the warm side. 66F

Lager-like result and a 66*F ferment (especially if you are talking 66*F ambient air) don't really happen together.

Ive been using a lot of Kolsch yeast lately to get pretty close to pils/lager-esque qualities. Try that, maybe with the wet t-shirt swamp cooler trick. I doubt you will be disappointed.

try white labs cry havoc yeast. works great for cream ales. comes out very light, clear, and clean.

Latest posts

Back