Mixed Berry Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangemen5

Reaction score
I have 6lbs of a frozen mixed berry medley. Strawberries, Blackberries, Blueberries , and Raspberries. I’d like to use them in a sour ,but I never see ppl post recipes with a medley of fruit. Usually just one fruit.
I’m thinking maybe because blueberries and strawberries take longer to extract flavor than raspberries and blackberries do. Not sure.
I’m just looking to use these up since they’ve been in my freezer for quite awhile.

a mixed berry sour could be good, but personally i like one or two fruit so i can pick out what the fruit is contributing. with 4 fruit, i suspect it'll be a wash - definitely fruit flavor, but a fruit cocktail.

one potential issue with your fruit blend is that strawberries can impart a weird taste if you leave them in contact with sour beer for too long. per an interview on The Sour Hour, and i apologize for not remembering the brewery/episode, the guests stated that the trick to a good strawberry sour is to limit contact time to 5-7 days. all the other fruit would benefit from a longer exposure, typically weeks. maybe pick out the strawberries and toss in the rest?

a mixed berry sour could be good, but personally i like one or two fruit so i can pick out what the fruit is contributing. with 4 fruit, i suspect it'll be a wash - definitely fruit flavor, but a fruit cocktail.

one potential issue with your fruit blend is that strawberries can impart a weird taste if you leave them in contact with sour beer for too long. per an interview on The Sour Hour, and i apologize for not remembering the brewery/episode, the guests stated that the trick to a good strawberry sour is to limit contact time to 5-7 days. all the other fruit would benefit from a longer exposure, typically weeks. maybe pick out the strawberries and toss in the rest?
Adding to this idea, maybe you can toss the fruit and leave out the problematic one and add this one back a few days before racking, it's already frozen so you can save it for weeks until the rest of the fruit has done it's thing

Back