mistake # 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplehops

Reaction score
Ok need some help. i am all set to bottle my torpedo ipa. and i realize that I must not have topped it off with water when i had it in the primary. I bought a 6 1/2 glass carboy, marked it with tape but i must have topped it off to the lower part of the tape.....not the top so a gallon never went it.
Its in a secondary now and i then realized i must have done that. Yes i lost some beer when i transfered so it wouldnt be at the 5 gallon mark but not this low...could i just add the gallon now (i have that marked correctly) or just bottle it and it will be a strong ale....
help. :eek::eek:

Personally, I would not add the water at this point. Chalk it up to a learning experience and enjoy your stronger torpedo!

But, you could use a little extra water for your priming sugar to help compensate

that what i shall do. it smells so dam good too so im going to bottle as is

that what i shall do. it smells so dam good too so im going to bottle as is

It'll be great. You'll just have a bit less of it.

The only thing you may want to consider next batch is to skip the secondary. You really didn't need it and too much headspace in the secondary can lead to some oxidation.

The only thing you may want to consider next batch is to skip the secondary. You really didn't need it and too much headspace in the secondary can lead to some oxidation.

here comes the age old debate...:rockin: but he is right, you do want to minimize the headspace. I secondary my IPA's to get some extra clarity before cold crashing and it has worked out well for me.

Definitely do not add any extra water at this point, it will just water down your beer.

small thought..... since say 1 gallon is missing from the beer, wont the sugar now be increased per volume? will i have too much carbonation?

small thought..... since say 1 gallon is missing from the beer, wont the sugar now be increased per volume? will i have too much carbonation?

No. Not unless you add too much priming sugar. Do not use the whole bag of corn sugar that came with the kit. Even with full volume, you'll likely be over-carbing.

If you're batch priming, use an online calculator like this one - http://www.brewheads.com/priming.php

To get the carbonation correct, you'll adjust for volume, highest ferment temp and desired level of carbonation (based on style and your taste). Then you weigh the priming agent in the amount needed.

Latest posts

Back