Mississippi mud

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petie

Reaction score
Anybody ever drink Mississippi mud black and tan? It's pretty good stuff. It comes in a cool quart screw top bottle. I was wondering about usin them to bottle some homebrew in. Theyre glass with a metal top like the old 2 liter bottles.

Here's a pic.

image-885135082.jpg

I bought it while on vacation. Mostly for the bottle. I'm not sure I'd use it to bottle ferment. Maybe as a small growler.

I bought it while on vacation. Mostly for the bottle. I'm not sure I'd use it to bottle ferment. Maybe as a small growler.
Yeah, I wouldn't bottle condition in it either, cap is so flimsy I see it being the weak point long before the glass would go. It's too bad it doesn't take a standard growler cap.

When I was in college a buddy of mine scored 15 cases of this for $90. I can't remember how much was in a case but we went on phish tour and sold them for $3 a piece in the lot and it paid for our week long trip. Plus we had all the beer we could drink. Oh the memories.

I can't say it's the best beer I ever drank but I like it. I was just wantin to bottle condition but I'm kind scared of the cap too. I wonder if I could wire a cork on it? Hmmmm?

Oh I do like the Mississippi Mud (brewed in NY) lol.
I think it tastes pretty damm good. It's a different kinda of "Black n Tan".
I love the bottles. I have about 16 or so bottles. I use them for short term beer transport n drinking all ready carbonated homebrews of mine.

I wouldn't force it, it's my understanding that growlers as such can't take the force of being carbonated.

I've bottle conditioned in these bottles about 10+ times with no problems. The caps fit much tighter then the standard 64oz growlers that I've purchased @ the LHBS. Not saying its the best practice but they work.

Not sure if the one I had was old or not, but it's easily in the top 5 worst beers I've ever had. Maybe even in the top 1. That's just my opinion, like I said it could've just been a bad bottle. But yeah, the container it comes in is cool.

I had one after a long day of drinking. My uncle had one that was pretty old. It wasn't a horrible beer from what I remember. I did save the bottle and leave it to display by my beer stuff. I wouldn't use to bottle b/c I've been told growler/growler type bottles aren't made for the carbonation process and can shatter. But good luck if you try, they are cool bottles. Great marketing on their part...although I find the beer hard to find in the Green Bay area at least.

More tan than black. Sorta like pouring a pilsner into a thin stout. Cool bottle though.

^^^What he said!

I figure the beer is carbonated thats in the bottle all ready, So I see no reason NOT to put more carbonated beer back in the bottle and cap it?
I have in the past and it kept a great seal using the metal cap that I save with the bottle. IE: I KEG, But don't understand why you couldn't "Bottle"carbonate in this bottle? it's a pretty heavy bottle IMO.

:mug:

I figure the beer is carbonated thats in the bottle all ready, So I see no reason NOT to put more carbonated beer back in the bottle and cap it?.

Because carbonated and carbonating beer is not the same thing. Read this for a detailed explanation....

I can't vouch for these bottles. It's been awhile since I drank it (I actually like it)....If I recall the smaller jugs (the short squat ones in the four pack) seemed pretty study, while the larger ones seemed thin (thinner than even growlers.)

Don't know what psi/carbonataion level they are rated at. You could test a few and see, but I wouldn't want to risk a gallon, let alone 5 gallons of my precious beer to it without some tests.

I'd use them off a keg...and MAYBE try the smaller ones, but not sure about the bigger ones....

YMMV

I bought a case of this a few days ago because the bottles looked cool. Its a good enough beer, so I'm happy to drink it.

I did share a few, and one of the caps was tossed out, and I can't seem to find it. Any idea where I might find a replacement cap that would fit? These are pretty neat looking little jugs, I just hate having one without a cap.

Mississippi mud is not the best beer but i too love the bottles. I do agree with Revvy but I have bottled with these a couple times and I have not had any issues. I agree its probably not the best practice but it has worked for me. I had one last week that I had made last fall. Tasted awesome!!!

I bought a case of this a few days ago because the bottles looked cool. Its a good enough beer, so I'm happy to drink it.

I did share a few, and one of the caps was tossed out, and I can't seem to find it. Any idea where I might find a replacement cap that would fit? These are pretty neat looking little jugs, I just hate having one without a cap.

Me too on the bottle caps......I have 3 now with no caps....anyone know where to find a replacement cap for these????? Lent one (full) to a buddy, told him 5 times DO NOT LOOSE THE CAP......tells me today his wife musta thrown the cap out! Incredible!

Hmmmm interesting I live in south Mississippi and have never heard or seen this beer. I would like to try it even if it doesn't have the best reviews.

I used to buy these when I still worked in a grocery store. Pretty sure I was the only one to ever purchase them because I never saw the stock go down besides what I bought. Publix stopped carrying them after a dispute with the distributor. Not sure where to get them anymore in Florida.

Back