Missed OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amff

Reaction score
My last extract batch I tried to pour 1/2 the LME at knockout. Unfortunately, as I was pouring the cooled wort into my fermenter I realized I did not do a good job of stirring and not all of the LME dissolved into the wort. The recipe I was making (IPA) called for an OG of 1.058 -62. My OG was 1.050. I pitched a 2L starter and just took another gravity reading and it read 1.000, the best I can tell, I don't have a FG hydrometer. Is this possible? If so, what can I expect from the beer in the way of off tastes?

Not sure i really understand what you're asking. Are you saying you took a reading and had 1.050 and then pitched and immediatley had a reading of 1.000? Or the 1.000 came after fermentation? Either way i highly doubt the FG is really that low in an extract beer. You shouldnt need a seperate hydrometer for SG and FG, just be sure to correct for temp.

With an extract kit, if you used all the ingredients and got the proper volumes, your OG will be correct. Did you leave any malt extract behind or did you get it into the fermenter. If it is in the fermenter everything is good.

1.000 is highly unlikely. And impossible if the beer hasn't been fermenting for a few days.

If your sample was not at the right temperature for your hydrometer a correction is necessary. Check the instructions that should have come with it. There are also online correction calculators.

I checked the Og 6 days ago on brew day and again today. I did not get all of the extract in the fermentor. I did adjust the reading for temp. I'm fermenting at 65 degrees so when I punched that into beersmith the reading did not change. I did adjust for the higher temp when pitching. I was referring to the fg hydrometer because with my hydrometer each line is .002 so it's feasible that it is in between the .010 and the .012 but its hard to tell. I just never had a reading that low and I'm a bit puzzled.

Wait, in the original post you say the reading is 1.000 and now its between 1.010 and 1.012? if thats the case its fine. Thats pretty normal, but a lot different thatn 1.000 (distilled water reads 1.000)

Thanks fastandy for talking me through my stupidity. I knew 1.000 was impossible but my frustration from missing the OG made me see something that was not there. The reading is 1.010. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to a ridiculous post.

Ha ha no worries! Missing the OG isnt the end of the world, hopefully it taught you something to make the next batch that much better.

Cheers,

Back