Mint Chocolate Stout HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pod_021

Reaction score
Hi guys I brewed my second kit last week ( coopers stout ) but i wanted to add a hint of mint to it so i threw in a lindt mint chocolate bar. I took a reading today and what i noticed was that there was "grainy" bits on the surface of the brew. I had a taste and it tastes like chocolate.

Do you think with a few more days in the fermenter that this will clear or will i have to filter it somehow when bottling?

How long has it been fermenting? It should be fine, and the material should settle out but it may take a little more time, and I would let it settle in the secondary.

Hi Juicejug, it's been there a week now, i'm going away on saturday till tuesday and i was afraid that it would produce off flavours if not bottled in time.

Waiting 4 days shouldn't affect it as far as the yeast is concerned, but you should check first to see if it's at the final gravity. 4 days might not settle it out though. I would recommend racking to a secondary and let it clear up in there for at least a week or two.

Interesting way of getting "chocolate mint". Let me know how it turns out. I would have thought using a chocolate bar would give off too many oils. I made a choc mint stout based off of Mosher's Extreme brewing recipie with spearmint leaves. Came out kinda funky, so I am REALLY INTERESTED in hearing how this turns out.

I took a hydrometer reading yesterday and took a sneaky taste as well. The chocolate is definitely present but the mint seems to have fallen into the back ground. Maybe when it's in a glass it'll be more present. I've just learned how the oils can ruin the head but it tastes pretty good so far. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out

Back