mini-mash SWMBO's 18 quart stockpot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickproenneke

Reaction score
Hey all, I was preparing to do a BIAB mini mash a la Deathbrewer but don't have the funds for another big pot. SWMBO has a really sweet 18q SS stockpot that looks like it'll fit the bill. I am just concerned about foreign matter (mostly soup, sauce and fat particles) ending up in my wort. WOuld a good scrub with PBW do the trick or is it just too risky?

i use the same pot for brewing beer as i use for making soup, and boiling noodles, and pretty much everything else that happens in the kitchen.

all i do is wash it with dish soap and water, and make sure to rinse it out well.

i'm about 99% sure you could just run it through the dish washer, too, if it were to fit.

remember that the pot doesn't need to be sanitized, because you are boiling everything that goes into it. you only need sanitizer AFTER the boil.

and, if your SWMBO is anything like mine, she would be mortally offended to hear you talking about "foreign matter" left on her cooking pots and pans. my bet is that pot is as clean is you need it right now.

one thing i DO, however, is that i sanitize the lid during the boil so that when it goes on top of the pot during cooling it's safe.

Latest posts

Back