Mini fridge question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Hey all. Forgive me for not know this but I am ;looking at a mini fridge to turn it into a kegerator. My question is there is a freezer shelf that I would need to come off. It looks like it can come off. So if I do remove that piece will it still the fridge pretty dood?

In most, if not all, of the mini fridges that I have dealt with, the freezer shelf (which defines the freezer compartment, has coolant running through it, and cannot be removed.

This may be what Ozarks Mountain Brew was saying, but I am not clear on the last bit of his post: "not the shelf but the crisper, the shelf and the crisper door can come off". Most of the mini fridges that I have seen do not have crispers... not sure if he is referring to a crisper shelf though.

Do not remove your freezer shelf. You will be very disappointed if you do.

I had a minifridge as a kegerator. Switched to a chest freezer with a collar and a inexpensive digital controller - no comparison!

I have a mini-fridge kegerator. The freezer is has the coolant running through it so that has to stay.

I managed to fit the corny in there by chopping the plastic molding out of the door. Other people build a collar of sorts to extend the front of the fridge out enough to fit the keg. You could also sell the fridge you have and buy a secondhand one that is tall enough to take a keg under the freezer compartment.

in mini fridges the freezer is the cold source, not the shelf but the crisper, the shelf and the crisper door can come off

my bad thats just my slang since my freezer never freezes, but yes the freezer has coils and cannot be removed, the door and any middle shelves usually can be removed but not all are the same I'm guessing so pictures would help

I read this thread and bought a magic chef 4.4 with the top shelf freezer tray. I took it home let it sit unplugged over night, and carefully bent the freezer tray down so it lays against the back of the fridge instead of hanging overhead. I detached the existing thermostats and cut plastic and replaced foam from areas enough to fit 2 cornys. Not sure yet if the end product will allow for a co2 tank plus 2 cornys, but so far so good.

Latest posts

Back